TREWORDER FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140887

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: TREWORDER FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TREWORDER FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140887 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 19:02:11.

Location

Statutory Address: TREWORDER FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Kenwyn

National Grid Reference: SW7899746580

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KENWYN SW 74 NE 2/179 - Treworder Farmhouse II Farmhouse. Circa early C18 remodelling of earlier house and further remodelled in the C19. Painted killas rubble with wooden lintels and slate sills. Scantle slate roofs with gable ends large stone stacks with brick shafts to gable ends left and right, external to left and external lateral stack to north east wall of rear wing at right angles. Further brick axial chimney over single-storey range to right. Plan of original house now difficult to work out but remodelled circa early C18 as 2-room house with central passage leading to central rear stair turret plus kitchen wing to rear right. Narrow service room added under 2-storey outshut to rear of left-hand room in the C19. Earlier room survives at higher level in single storey building to right (north east) and incorporates earlier stone fragments. 2 storeys. Originally symmetrical 5-window south east front, but in the C19, first floor windows 2 and 4 blocked and ground floor window completely blocked and pier of masonry between windows removed to make window openings. Central doorway. C20 door and windows. Single-storey 2-window part to right has doorway to left of each room C20 and windows. Right-hand doorway is circa early C20 stable type ledged and braced. Chamfered stone reused as jambstone to right and stone with concentric ring carving further to right. Left-hand doorway has C20 lean- to porch. Rear is little altered since the C19. Interior was much remodelled in the C19 but retains original dog-leg stair with C19 balustrade and fielded dado panelling in left-hand front room with original ceiling level over. Hearths partly blocked except large slightly splayed fireplace in left- hand room of single-storey part with chamfered grown oak lintel over. Circa late C19 roof structure. Treworder was the home of Richard Lobb, High Sheriff of Cornwall (1651-2), Justice of the Peace, and Captain of Militia for West Cornwall. He was an influential Puritan and became involved in the New England Corporation, founded by Edward Winslow who sailed in the Mayflower in 1620. In 1665 Richard Lobb issued a token farthing of which no known examples survive. Source: The Story of Flushing, Cornwall by Ursula Redwood.

Listing NGR: SW7899746580

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63280

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Redwood, U, The Story of Flushing Cornwall

End of official listing