TREGYE, THE DUCHY GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140898

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: TREGYE, THE DUCHY GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TREGYE, THE DUCHY GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140898 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 15:25:28.

Location

Statutory Address: TREGYE, THE DUCHY GRAMMAR SCHOOL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Feock

National Grid Reference: SW 80885 40132

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 84 SW FEOCK

2/33 Tregye, The Duchy Grammar School

II

Country house, now used as school. 1809. Built for William Penrose, extended and remodelled late C19. Elvan ashlar walls and chimneys. Hipped dry Delabole slate roof with slightly projecting eaves and gabled roof dormers. Rectangular plan 3-room wide and 2-rooms deep with thick cross chimney walls and axial passage leading to stairs at right-hand side. Original canted bay projecting to middle room (east) and late C19 1-shaped service wing attached to rear of north end. 2 storeys plus attic over basement. Symmetrical 5-window east garden front with central canted bay with 3 windows flanked by 1-window bays with windows closer to side walls. Basement as plinth. Plain parapet survives to central bay with 2- window. Large later gable dormer over. Left-hand dormer window is now door. Flat arches with projecting keystones over original openings with 12-pane hornless sashes. 4-window south entrance front has C20 flat roofed single storey extension to middle obscuring original entrance to third ground floor opening from left with initials W.P. and date 1809 over. Arch and jambs are slightly recessed, and scalloped decoration of voussoirs is repeated in glazing pattern. Dormers have ashlar gables of probably reused stone of dismantled parapet. Original stair window to north. Interior has much surviving early C19 detail including panelled window shutters, some original doors, some panelled reveals, and plaster ceiling cornices. Small room to south east has original moulded cornice. Room to south west has simple moulded ceiling band and central room to north of this has moulded cornice and ceiling band. Central front room is octagonal with inner partition reflecting the canted bay. Ceiling has trailing rose band and central rose with carvings of the fruits of harvest. Late C19 open-well open-string stair with turned balusters, (turnings divided by mid-way square block) mahogany handrail and turned newel posts with turned finials. Revival style of early C18 type but in position of original stair. First floor and attic not inspected.

Listing NGR: SW8088540132

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63308

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing