THE OLD SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140899

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140899 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 07:36:31.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Feock

National Grid Reference: SW 82415 38394

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK

4/37 The Old School

GV II

National School, now private house. 1846 (Preliminary Statement of 1853, CRO). By Pearson. Extended later C19 in 2 phases. Slatestone rubble with granite quoins, copings and dressings for architectural detail. Dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends, formerly partly roofed with double Roman tiles. Tudor style. Originally 1 large schoolroom and smaller room adjoining to right (north) of (east) front end, with adjoining entrance porch with bellcote in angle and projecting to front, then schoolroom and classroom extension to right (north) parallel to original schoolroom with small open courtyard to rear, and finally a classroom built over this courtyard. Single storey. East front: left and righ 2 gable ends of projecting cross wings with entrance porch with bellcote over projecting slightly to left of centre and attached to left-hand wing. Right-hand gable end dressed stonework is probably reused from original north gable of schoolroom. Each of these gables has plinth, central 4-light steeped gable, slit ventilator with slate louvres over, corbelled kneeler courses and cruciform gabletted finial. Porch gable surmounted by original granite ashlar bellcote with steep weatherings has 4-centred, moulded doorway with stepped hoodmould enclosing shield, and plaque with round-moulded border over. Original single light window to north wall of porch and 2-light window to east wall of original classroom. Other windows in similar style except 1985 conservatory to left-hand (south) side wall. Interior remodelled 1985 but retaining arch braced roof structure. Average number of children in 1852 was 51 boys and 1 girl. (Preliminary Statement 1853). The design of this school is similar to Devoran Primary School, qv., also by Pearson.

Listing NGR: SW8241538394

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63312

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing