TUNNEL AT SW 751424 SE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140911

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: TUNNEL AT SW 751424 SE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TUNNEL AT SW 751424 SE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140911 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 15:19:16.

Location

Statutory Address: TUNNEL AT SW 751424 SE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Gwennap

National Grid Reference: SW 75113 42446

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GWENNAP HALE MILLS SW 74 SE 5/138 Tunnel at SW 751424 SE - GV II 2 tunnels under railway embankment. Early C19. Built for The Redruth and Chasewater Railway. Granite arches and copings, elvan vaults and killas walling. 2 tunnels approximately 35m long at higher level for road. Embankment has battered coped rubble walls with similar but sloping return walls to buttress angles. Tunnel have horseshoe shaped portals to east and west with crudely rock-faced granite voussoirs and jambstones. Keystones rise to higher level. Interior has coursed elvan vault to each tunnel. These tunnels are near the principal intersection of the railway with the line crossing the embankment towards Poldice Mine and planned to be extended to Chacewater, but never completed. The Redruth and Chasewater Railway began in 1824 and was horse drawn until steam locomotives were introduced in 1854.

Listing NGR: SW7511342446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63237

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing