CHURCH OF ST MAWES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141000

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MAWES, (AND WALL WITH RAILINGS), CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MAWES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141000 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 03:46:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MAWES, (AND WALL WITH RAILINGS), CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Just-in-Roseland

National Grid Reference: SW 84568 33009

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 84 33 ST JUST IN ROSELAND CHURCH HILL (west side) St Mawes 6/88 CHURCH OF ST MAWES and wall with - railings

GV II

Anglican church and wall with railings to south. Circa 1870's. Dressed roughly coarsed shale, limestone and sandstone with granite quoins and window frames with brick quoins to buttresses and brick cornice. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends. Slates laid to form alternate bands of plain and fishscale decoration. Pierced, chevron, crested clay ridge tiles. 2 stage, slate hung bellcote with sprocketted pyramidal slate roof with ball and cross finial over west end. Chancel roof at slightly lower level. Nave, narrower chancel and south porch at west end. Early English influence. South wall has steep gabe-ended porch left with shaped slates to verge and moulded eaves cornice. Red sandstone walls. Central granite pointed moulded doorway with hood mould. Original pair of boarded doors. 4 weathered buttresses to nave wall and three, 3-light lancets with relieving arches. Moulded eaves cornice also to chancel, right, set back slightly which has 2-light window with quatrefoil tracery. North wall similar except to west end where it is linked to school room. 4-light west window has intersecting tracery. 3-light, chancel, east window has tracery with 3 trefoils. Interior is unaltered with 4-bay arch brace pitch pine, roof to nave with bracing springing from granite corbels. Intermediate plain collared trusses. Pointed chancel arch has engaged shafts to jambs and hoodmould. Reredos also has engaged shafts and hoodmould to east window. Tiled aisle and western. Original glass except to 3 windows to south wall of nave in memory of F.H. Barby, Rector 1939-1958 by Francis W.S. Keat depicting the story of Saint Mawes, and glass in west window in memory of William Vincent 1808-1889 and of Louisa his wife 1808-1869. Original fittings of pitch pine pews with shaped ends, blind trefoil arcaded pupit and octagonal granite front in Perpendicular style with quatrefoils.

Listing NGR: SW8456833009

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63050

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing