Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT JUST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141006.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:12:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Just-in-Roseland
National Grid Reference:
SW 84845 35690



2/108 Church of Saint Just - 30-5-67 GV I

Parish Church. C13, (consecrated 1216) C15, restored 1872 and C20 vestry. Slatestone with granite tower buttresses, C15 windows and doorways. Scantle slate roofs with gable ends. Nave and chancel under one roof, west tower, north transept, south aisle and south porch. C15 tower of 2 stages has weathered diagonal corner buttresses, string dividing stages and under parapet with battlements. Pointed moulded west doorway with hood mould and relieving arch. 3-light Perpendicular window over with replaced mullions C20, hoodmould and relieving arch. Original arch headed 2-light Perpendicular windows to upper stage with hoodmoulds cinquefoil lights and slate louvres. Octagonal stair turret to east of south wall of tower rises above tower parapet and has extra string and battlements. Clockface below second string on south side. North wall of nave, contemporary with tower has 2, C15 3-light Perpendicular windows with C20 boiler house between with lean-to slate roof and rubble stack. Transept and adjoining vestry left, remodelled to have roof parallel to nave roof. Transept probably incorporating some C13-C14 walling has C15, 2-light, Perpendicular window to west and north wall. Pointed, chamfered doorway to vestry left and tall 2-light window to east gable. North wall of chancel, C13 has C15, 2-light window with round headed lights, left and C15, pointed doorway right. East window of chancel gable end is C19 of freestone in Perpendicular style. East window in south aisle gable has original C15 frame but C19 freestone tracery. South wall of south aisle is entirely C15 complete with 1, 3-light Perpendicular window to left of porch and 5 to right. West gable window similar. South porch, also C15 has fine granite doorway with trefoil headed panels on engaged octagonal jambs with moulded bases and capital as responds to ordered 4-centred almost rounded arch with cusping mostly broken away. Surrounding granite ashlar walling. Original moulded inner doorway. Porch has surviving C15 oak waggon roof with moulded ribs and purlins, carved wallplate and central boss. Old carved plaster fragment set into wall plaster. Interior of Church : nave roof probably early C19 with arch-braced collars and roll moulding to bracing and under purlins. Roof was originally in form of waggon roof with plaster panels between, now with exposed common rafters. Chancel has closer set arched braced collar roof in form of waggon roof. Paint on bracing to both roofs. Aisle roof, probably 1872 is similar arch braced type. All 3 roofs have moulded cornices with painted bible texts. Granite arcade of 7 bays between nave/chancel and south aisle has standard A (Pevsner) piers with 4 engaged shaft and capitals over each shaft supporting inner and outer hollow chamfer basket arches. Chancel has thicker walling surviving from C13 and contemporary trefoil headed piscina to south in arcade respond. Tower arch springs from corbelled responds and may survive from earlier tower. Pointed granite doorway in tower to granite newel stair. Old painted decoration surrounding south doorway and north doorway of chancel. Also, now headed, painted panel of The Lords Prayer 1693 beside south doorway. Slate flagged floor. Fittings of C19 pine pews with scrolled and carved bench ends; polygonal pulpit with engaged shafts to angles dividing painted trefoil headed panels and C15 Perpendicular octagonal granite font with quatrefoil panels. Brass of priest on east wall of aisle is either that of Perys d. 1504 or Jeffrey 1529 both Rectors of the parish.

Listing NGR: SW8484635692


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11541/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George A. Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].