ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141037

Date first listed: 30-May-1985

Statutory Address: ALMSHOUSES, TREGONY HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141037 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 03:53:29.

Location

Statutory Address: ALMSHOUSES, TREGONY HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Tregoney

National Grid Reference: SW 92360 44812

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



571/5/110 TREGONY HILL 30-MAY-85 (South side) ALMSHOUSES

II* Almshouses. Erected 1696 by Hugh Boscawen and restored in 1895 to plans drawn up by Silvanus Trevail. Slatestone rubble, granite dressings and Delabole slate roof with external stone stacks to gable ends and external stone lateral stacks with small slate gables. Long single depth 4 room plan with open gallery along first floor front. 2 storeys. North west street front has open wooden gallery with wooden posts and close boarded balustrade of 1895,supported by 6 short granite pillars on granite coped rubble wall. Access up short flight of granite steps between middle 2 closer set pillars. Original chamfered granite framed openings of door, window, window, door off centre to right and door far right. Mullions to windows removed. Other openings to ground floor are probably 1895 or later. Partly enclosed stone rubble stair turret in original position to left with 1895 dogleg stair. Return wall to far right ends short of main range. First floor doors may be in original positions. Main roof sprocketed to give lower pitch over gallery. South east 5 window front is little altered apart from some replaced stonework and possible rebuilding of upper part of chimneys. Lateral stack between windows 1 and 2 and windows 3 and 4 with original chamfered granite doorframe slightly left of centre between stacks. 2 light granite mullion window to left of door. All others have 3 lights and ones to ground floor have rebates for shutters. All original and little restored. Leaded glazing is probably 1895. C20 rendered buttress to left lateral stack. Simple interior. Roof not inspected.

Sources:- West Briton, 16th August 1894

Listing NGR: SW9236044812

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62939

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing