CHURCH OF SAINT ANTHONY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1141049
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT ANTHONY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT ANTHONY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 03:25:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT ANTHONY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Gerrans
National Grid Reference:
SW 85485 32035

Details

SW 83 SE GERRANS

5/2 Church of Saint Anthony -

30-5-67 II*

Parish church (now private) rededicated 1259 with a small establishment by Plympton Priory (Augustinian). C13. Surviving north transept. Nave and south aisle mostly rebuilt 1850 and chancel, demolished at Dissolution, completely built 1850. Slatestone walls with granite and freestone dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends. Rare survival in Cornwall of cruciform plan with nave, chancel, north and south aisles and tower over crossing. Nave has Norman doorway to south wall possibly originally from Plympton Priory(S M R); of 4 orders with keeled nook shafts with scalloped capitals supporting middle 2 round arches of cusps enclosing stylized foliage carving, chevron outer order and carved heads, Agnus Dei off centre to left. Reset C13 freestone lancet to right. All other windows are 1850 of, granite in Early English style with coloured glass. 2-light one to left of doorway, 5-light one to west gable, and 3-light one to north wall. Chacel has 2-light window to middle of south wall with quatrefoil and flanking single lancets; 3-light window to east gable and 2 single lancets in north wall and near junction with tower, a reused C17 doorway with elliptical arch. North Transept has 3-light window in C13 walling to east wall and rose window to north gable above where north transept adjoins Place Manor. South aisle has 3-light window to each wall. Tower walling is C13 to apex level of adjoining roofs. Rebuilt C19 wall over with quatrefoil ventilator under eaves to each side. Dry slated broach spire with 4 Gothic lucarnes and leaded angles. Interior has 1850 roof structure throught with arched bracing springing from corbvels and cornice with dog tooth carving. C13, pointed and ordered freestone lower arches with stiff leaf capitals and carved heads to north and south transept tower arch capitals. Engaged shafts to responds of nave and chancel. C13 trefoil headed freestone niches to east walls of north and south aisles. (The one in south aisle with carved head corbels). East and West windows of south aisle have retooled C13 freestone rear arches and jambs with engaged shafts. Further surviving C13 jambs to east window of north aisle. C19 granite rear arches and nook-shafts to east chancel window and north nave window. Round-headed doorway in north wall of nave links church to Place Manor. Spry family motto on wall: 'Soyez sage et simple!'. Fittings of octagonal C19 granite front, benches with carved ends and scrolled arm rests. Spry family pew in north aisle; octagonal pulpit with tapered base and cast iron stair baluster in north east corner of tower and single bell in middle of tower spire. Monuments in north transept are to Spry family; fine, Baroque Ionic aedicule with semi-circular pediment on cartouche with lion's head brackets and oval inscription with angel head and acanthus border to Arthur Spry d. 1685 and wife Mary d. 1656; large white marble Tudor style chest and frame around Classical group of male and female mourners either side of inscribed pedestal with Spry arms above trophy to Thomas Spry, Admiral of the Red 1828 and wife Anna Maria d. 1835; wall tablet with angel holding sword against tapered background to Richard Spry and wife Mary; wall tablet with ship of the line and Brittania to Sir Richard Spry Kt. Rear Admiral of the White d. 1775 by Westmacott; simple monument to George Spry d. 1658 of Golden with cartouche and coat of arms and wall table to Lucice Hele d. 1670.

Listing NGR: SW8548832053

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
62967
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].