Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141054

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: TRESILLIAN CHURCH, A39


Ordnance survey map of TRESILLIAN CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141054 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 06:44:04.


Statutory Address: TRESILLIAN CHURCH, A39

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Michael Penkevil

National Grid Reference: SW 87020 46484


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1/82 - Tresillian Church, Tresillian


Small church. First built as Chapel of Ease 1878, rebuilt 1904. Elvan, shale and slate rubble with freestone dressings and steep Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends. Arts and Crafts Gothic style. Nave, chancel, south aisle, vestry and north porch. West front has large ashlar gabled bellcote with 3 bells supported by buttressed gable end. 2-light west nave window below with cusped heads and quatrefoil within moulded pointed arch. Bells are within cusped arches with middle one at higher level. Aisle gable, right with cusped lancet. Similar windows to north wall of nave, south wall of aisle and porch gable. Small quatrefoil to west wall of porch which is set back slightly from nave west gable end. Chancel has 3- light lancet east gable window and machicolated north eaves cornice. Chimney over vestry has louvre with arched gable ends. Pointed arched doorway to east side of porch. Interior: freestone arcade of pointed arches corbelled out and supported on octagonal piers; similar but larger chancel arch; piscina on shaft in chancel; scissor-braced pine roof to nave and arch braced pine roof to south aisle. Original pine pews with shaped ends. Other fittings of note are from Church of St Cohan, Merther (q.v.); Pentewan stone font probably C12 with octagonal shaft; Jacobean C17 polygonal oak pulpit with carved panels; figure of Saint Antony in Catecleuse stone (first found in Scoan Field by Holy Well of Saint Cohan q.v.) and holy water stoup. Right-hand bell in bellcote is from Church of Saint Moran, Lamorran (q.v.) and others from Church of Saint Cohan, Merther (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SW8702046484


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62872

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing