CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1141064
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141064.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:40:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Michael Penkevil
National Grid Reference:
SW 85792 42156

Details

In the entry for

SW 84 SE ST MICHAEL PENKIVEL

4/32 Church of St Michael - 30.5.67

The date in the third sentence of the description shall be amended to read '1862-4' instead of '1859'.

The third paragraph shall be replaced by following

Numerous monuments to Boscawen family include: reclining painted effigy of Hugh Boscawen + 1559 on corbelled and scrolled base with triple Corinthian colonnade and cartouche between obelisks, the whole framing lozenge and rectangular plaques; Edward Boscawen + 1761 by Rysbrack 1763 of marble bust with drum and anchor against tapered background; Lieutenant William Boscawen (who died swimming); Edward Hugh Boscawen + 1774 by Nollekens as is Francis Boscawen + 1774 and Elizabeth Ann Viscountess Falmouth + 1793 all with urns. Brasses: to John Trenowith + 1497 in south transept floor of praying armoured figure stand- ing on dog and in north transept floor one to Marie, widow of Peter Coffin, 1622 and Edward Boscawen of Nancarrow, and in wall one to John Boscawen + 1564 and Hugo Boscawen + 1634. Fittings include: oak pews and choir stalls; circular limestone and marble pulpit with turned balustrade and hexagonal, lead-lined, limestone front supported on 8 engaged shafts.

------------------------------------

SW 84 SE ST MICHAEL PENKIVEL

4/32 Church of St Michael - 30-5-67 GV I

Parish church. Dedicated 1261. Mostly rebuilt incorporating some of the earlier structure 1859 by G E Street. Slatestone with freestone dressings and Delabole slate roofs. Decorated style. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south transepts and south porch. North wall of nave has 2-light cusped window with quatrefoil tracery and blocked pointed arched door to right. Both have hoodmoulds with carved head label stops. North transept : 3-light north gable window with trefoil bordered rose; diagonal corner buttresses and coped gable with cross finial; small weathered projection to left of 3-light rose window in east wall. Chancel north wall : off- set corner buttress to left; 2-light trefoil headed window and weathered projection to right. Chancel east gable is similar to north transept projection to right. Gable of south transept has 3-light traceried window and corner buttresses. South porch has 2-centred moulded door frame and corner buttresses rising to frame 2-light window with rose in gable. South wall of nave between porch and south transept has 2-light window with trefoil tracery. Tower of 2 stages with offset corner buttresses with 3 offsets to first stage and steep pyramidal asbestos slate roof behind simple parapet with gargoyles. Spirelet surmounts high octagonal stair turret. Pointed west doorway may contain early stonework probably C13-C14 surviving from old church. Inner porch doorway to south wall of nave is also probably C13- C14. Tower windows are Decorated style. Large 3-light belfry windows have intersecting tracery and stone louvres within ordered pointed arches linked to minor string course. Interior has surviving C13-C14 stonework to tower arch with red ancient colour, north transept arch and rear arch in south transept. Sedilia in north and south transepts are also probably C13 as are traceried reredos screens, curvilinear in north transept and Decorated in south transept. Pointed rood stair doorway (resited) and tower stair doorframe also survive. Alabaster reredos to channel has frame in C14 style and adjacent niches. In niche to north wall of chancel is inscribed dedication stone with cross. In sepulchral niches adjoining sedilia in north and south transepts are coffin slabs with foliated crosses probably C13 as are altar slab in north transept and piscina in porch. Wagon roofs to nave, chancel and transepts are C19. Numerous monuments to Boscawen family include : reclining painted effigy of Hugh Boscawen + 1559 on corbelled and scrolled base with triple Corinthian colonnade and cartouche between obelisks, the whole framing lozange and rectangular plaques; Edward Boscawen + 1701 by Rysbrack 1703 of marble bust with drum and anchor against tapered background; Lieutenant William Boscawen (who died swimming); Edward Hugh Roscawen + 1774 by Nollekens as is" Francis Boscawen + 1774 And Elizabeth Ann Viscountess Falmouth + 1783 all with urns. Brasses ; to John Trenowith + 1497 in south transept floor of praying armoured figure standing on dog and in north transept floor one to Marie, widow of Peter Coffin, 1622 and Edward Boscawen or Nancarrow, and in wall one to John Boscawen + 1564 and Hugo Boscawen + 1634. Fittings include : oak pews and choir stalls; circular limestone and marble pulpit with turned balustrade and hexagonal, lead-lined, limestone front supported on 8 engaged shafts. From the surviving evidence it is possible that the C13 church was replaced by a later C13 one of some quality. Apart from the west doorway and south inner doorway the building seems to have been entirely refaced externally in Street's remodelling.

Listing NGR: SW8579842154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
62892
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/11595/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janine L. Richardson-Potter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].