CLOCKTOWER WITH STABLE YARD AND OFFICE YARD ADJOINING TREGOTHNAN TO THE NORTH EAST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141070

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: CLOCKTOWER WITH STABLE YARD AND OFFICE YARD ADJOINING TREGOTHNAN TO THE NORTH EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLOCKTOWER WITH STABLE YARD AND OFFICE YARD ADJOINING TREGOTHNAN TO THE NORTH EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 21:45:00.

Location

Statutory Address: CLOCKTOWER WITH STABLE YARD AND OFFICE YARD ADJOINING TREGOTHNAN TO THE NORTH EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Michael Penkevil

National Grid Reference: SW 85701 41626

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for

SW 84 NE ST MICHAEL PENKIVEL TREGOTHNAN PARK

4/70 Clock tower with stable yard and office yard adjoining Tregothnan to GV the north-east

The second sentence of the description shall be amended to read - 'C18, altered 1874 (office yard on back stables)'.

------------------------------------

SW 84 NE ST MICHAEL PENKIVEL TREG0THNAN PARK

4/70 Clocktower with Stable Yard and Office yard . adjoining Tregothnan to the north-east.

GV II*

Stable yard and offices of a great house. 1816-18 by William Wilkins for the Fourth Viscount Falmouth (office yard) 1845-8 by Lewis Vulliamy for the second Earl of Falmouth (stable yard). Yellow brick with stone dressings to main (east front) other parts rubble with stone dressings, slate roofs. Double courtyard plan in a Tudor Collegiate style. East front of two storeys with central gatetower with centred arch flanked by octagonal turrets. First floor with two 2-light mullioned and transomed windows flanking clock, battlements and Tudor terracotta chimneys above. Two bays, to either side of tower, six light mullioned and transomed windows below, five light above. Battlemented parapet, tall Tudor terracotta stacks. Internal faces of the stable yard are in rubble and show some later alterations. Five carriage doors with four centred heads on north-east side. Granite sett paving. The 'office-yard' which is the original stable yard, is both smaller and plainer, particularly the exterior walls and adjoins to the south. The development of these buildings is uncertain at present. Sources: see Tregothnan.

Listing NGR: SW8570141626

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62908

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

End of official listing