BARN AND TWO ADJOINING ENGINE HOUSES APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES NORTH OF TREWITHEN FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141079

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: BARN AND TWO ADJOINING ENGINE HOUSES APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES NORTH OF TREWITHEN FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN AND TWO ADJOINING ENGINE HOUSES APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES NORTH OF TREWITHEN FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141079 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 09:25:41.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN AND TWO ADJOINING ENGINE HOUSES APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES NORTH OF TREWITHEN FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Probus

National Grid Reference: SW 91449 47731

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PROBUS SW 94 NW 5/81 Barn and 2 adjoining Engine houses approx 10 metres North of Trewithen Home Farmhouse

GV II*

Barn with two engine houses. C18 barn with circa 1800 horse engine house and a steam engine house added in 1811. Flemish bound brick over stone plinth and with hipped Delabole slate roof. Rectangular plain barn with horse engine house at rear and steam engine house in the angle. Two storey. Six bays Slightly arched openings and dove holes under wide eaves. South end wall has flight of granite steps with iron handrail to loading door. Horse engine house at rear with steam engine house added in the angle with a lean to roof. Interior: Pegged tie beam and collar rafter roof structure in Main Barn. The steam engine was installed for. Sir Christopher Hawkins in 1811. It was designed by Richard Trevithick and built at the Hayle Foundry. It was the first steam engine made for threshing and the earliest surviving agricultural steam engine in the world. It is now in store at the Science Museum Kensington. The engine was taken out and exhibted at the Royal Agricultural Society Show at Kilburn in 1879 and presented to the Science Museum by the Royal Agricultural Society in the same year. The Trevithick engine is a single acting high pressure non-condensing steam-engine. The boiler is a later replacement of possibly 1854. Information supplied by the Science Museum, Kensington, London and the Royal Agricultural Society, Belgrave Square, London.

Listing NGR: SW9144947731

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62832

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing