Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1141100

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1956

Statutory Address: TREWITHEN HOUSE


Ordnance survey map of TREWITHEN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141100 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 00:22:17.


Statutory Address: TREWITHEN HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Probus

National Grid Reference: SW 91309 47516


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PROBUS SW 94 NW 5/71 Trewithen House 20.2.56


Country house 1723, and added to by Thomas Edwards circa 1738 and Sir Robert Taylor circa 1750-1760s. Granite ashlar, Pentewan stone ashlar and stucco with hipped slate roofs and rendered stacks. Double depth plan with central stairs. 2 storeys. North front is 2:5:2 bays with flanking bays broken forward, incised stucco with granite keystones. Rusticated central round arched stone doorcase has C18 fielded panelled door with sidelights and semi-circular arched fanlight. Paired brackets to doorcase support cornice with mutules. Original C18 twelve paned sashes with crown glass and heavy ovolo moulded glazing bars to all fronts. Granite sills and moulded cornice to parapet. Hipped dormers over. East front (probably 1723) is granite ashlar of 2:3:2 bays. Canted central bays with central door with projecting keystone. Plinth, plain lintels and flanking pilasters with moulded cornices. Windows in left 2 bays are glazed but blocked behind. South front is Pentewan stone ashlar of 2:5:2 bays with central bay broken forward and taller. Central doorcase has pulvinated frieze and consoles supporting moulded cornice. Central bays have window architraves and bracketed sills. Moulded parapet cornice is like doorcase one. Interior has many fine rooms including pine panelled central east room with Ionic doorcase leading to south east oak panelled room with good Ionic detail. Central south room has arcaded screens to west and east ends of 3 semi circular arches springing from capitals with complete Ionic entablatures in the Roman manner with plaster vaulted ceilings behind. Rococo arabesques decorate fireplace wall. Main central cantilevered staircase is in semi circular open well and has wreathed handrail over newel. Other central stair has geometric balustrade of oriental inspiration. Reference County Life Vol.113 pages [99-993 and 1072-1075 and Vol. 132 pp.774.

Listing NGR: SW9130947516


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62778

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 2 April, , Vol. 113, (1953), 99-993
'Country Life' in 9 April, (1953)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

End of official listing