1, ANGEL HILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1141151
Date first listed:
07-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
1, ANGEL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1, ANGEL HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141151 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2019 at 04:29:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
1, ANGEL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Bury St. Edmunds
National Grid Reference:
TL 85506 64143

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564SE ANGEL HILL 639-1/8/159 (West side) 07/08/52 No.1

GV II

House, now used as doctors' surgeries on the ground storey with living accommodation above; forms part of a complex group, part C20, extending southwards along Athenaeum Lane and westwards to Angel Lane. Reconstructed c1815/1816 on an older site. White brick. Slate roof with a plain eaves soffit. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 5 window range to front, 12-pane sashes to the 1st storey, 6-pane to the 2nd storey and sashes with plate glass to the ground storey, all in cased frames with deep reveals and flat gauged arches over. A raised stucco band runs below the 1st storey windows. A recessed central doorway with a semicircular surround within a Doric portico with fluted pillars and a heavy entablature. A single-storey C20 range links the back of the building with the former stable block facing on to Angel Lane. The front of the stables facing the inner courtyard has a colour-washed wall of kidney flint and red brick, a plain semicircular-headed doorway and a wide segmental-arched opening infilled with a window. On the upper storey 3 12-pane sash windows in deep segmental-arched red brick reveals. C18 middle window with thick ovolo-moulded glazing bars. The Angel Lane side of the stable was extended with a white brick front which has a wide central semicircular arched opening flanked by 2 semicircular headed doorways with radiating glazing-bars to their fanlights. INTERIOR: the main house has a hallway paved with limestone flags and linking black dots. Plaster cornices with acanthus-leaf decoration and floral motifs to the ground storey rooms. Panelled doors and internal shutters. At the rear, a semicircular-headed archway with moulded surrounds and sunk panels to the reveals. The date of rebuilding is indicated by an entry in the town Rate Book.



Listing NGR: TL8550664143

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466620
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].