ANGEL HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141153

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: ANGEL HOTEL, 3, ANGEL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ANGEL HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141153 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:11:28.

Location

Statutory Address: ANGEL HOTEL, 3, ANGEL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Grid Reference: TL 85490 64186

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564SW ANGEL HILL 639-1/14/161 (West side) 07/08/52 No.3 Angel Hotel

GV II*

Hotel. Rebuilt 1774-76 for the Guildhall Feoffees on an earlier inn site to a design by Mr Redgrave; C13 undercroft. White brick; slate roof with a parapet, stone cornice and triangular pediment. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attics; undercroft; later cellars. The original range has rusticated brick to the ground storey and quoins; a raised stone band runs below the 1st storey windows. 7 window range, arranged 2:3:2 with the centre breaking forward slightly: all small-paned sashes in deep reveals. A Diocletian window in the pediment. A central doorway with a semicircular fanlight has a large projecting distyle porch in Adam style with a dentil cornice to the architrave and ornamental cast-iron railings above. It is approached up flanking stone steps with cast-iron railings. An arched carriage entrance on the left was added by William Steggles in 1818 and was built over in 1921/2 with a range the height of the main building in matching style: 4 sash windows to each storey. INTERIOR: the outstanding feature of the interior is the fine C13 undercroft below part of the main building, now used as a restaurant. In 3 bays, with stone ribs to the quadripartite vaulting and octagonal supporting pillars. The ballroom was built in the early C19 over an open ground storey against the back of the former stable block which faces on to Angel Lane. The 5-window range facing into the courtyard has now been extended into the upper storey of the stable block. Interior walls with Ionic pilasters faced with mirror glass; a shell added to each capital. At the south end the pilasters flank a large central mirror. This was probably the Subscription Room of Thomas Bridgman, landlord of the Angel, mentioned in Payne's Survey of 1833. The Angel Hotel was sold by the Guildhall Feoffees in 1917. (BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 148).



Listing NGR: TL8549064186

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 466622

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 148

End of official listing