NUMBER 15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141163

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: NUMBER 15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 15, ANGEL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141163 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 14:18:10.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBER 15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 15, ANGEL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Grid Reference: TL 85547 64331

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564SE ANGEL HILL 639-1/8/171 (North side) 07/08/52 No.15 and attached railings

GV II

House, possibly including a shop, now used as a dental practice. Early C17 core; C18 and early C19 extensions and alterations. Timber-framed; fronted in white brick; slate roof with modillion eaves soffit. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement. 3 window range: 12-pane sashes in plain reveals with flat gauged arches to the ground and 1st storeys; 6-pane sashes to the top storey. A raised stone band runs at 1st storey sill level; stone sills to the remaining windows. Entrance door on the right has a Greek Doric doorcase with fluted pilasters, triglyph frieze and mutule cornice. A 6-panel door with a rectangular fanlight. An attached row of cast-iron railings with a gate. INTERIOR: much altered, reflecting C18 changes on to which the early C19 facade was superimposed. Cellar with features of c1600: flint and brick rubble walling, rendered, ceiling with chamfered main beam and joists on edge. One small square stone-edged niche and an early C19 small-paned sliding-sash window. Above ground, the oldest surviving feature is the fireplace in the rear 1st storey room: this has a rounded back to the hearth, and the bricks, which were formerly covered with old render and are now stripped, have traces of original red ochre colouring and lining; moulded and stopped jambs. The main beams, in this room and elsewhere in the house, have been hacked back for later plaster. C18 changes include the addition of the top storey. The roof has a ridge-piece and a number of re-used older rafters, and also evidence of the early C19 changes when the front was pushed forward and a further set of rafters laid along the front slope. A corner chimney-stack was inserted for the front rooms, and one attic room has a cast-iron grate in 'Gothick' style. An early C19 stair at the rear of the entrance hall has stick balusters and a plain ramped handrail. At the rear, a C19 cast-iron window with segmental-arched head and unusual glazing-bars. The property has a good run of deeds starting in 1691. A sale notice of 20 January 1826 lists the rooms recognisably as entrance parlour, kitchen, sitting room overlooking Angel Hill, 2 bedrooms, 2 attics, and a cellar.





Listing NGR: TL8554764331

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 466632

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing