REMAINS OF TRESCO PRIORY AND ASSOCIATED MONUMENTS AND ATTACHED WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141172

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Dec-1992

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF TRESCO PRIORY AND ASSOCIATED MONUMENTS AND ATTACHED WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF TRESCO PRIORY AND ASSOCIATED MONUMENTS AND ATTACHED WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141172 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 01:29:48.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF TRESCO PRIORY AND ASSOCIATED MONUMENTS AND ATTACHED WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isles of Scilly (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Tresco

National Grid Reference: SV8947214242

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SV 8914 1358-0/7/123

TRESCO Remains of Tresco Priory and associated monuments and attached walls

(Formerly Listed as: Remains of Tresco Priory in Gardens of Tresco Abbey)

12.02.75

GV

II

Remains of Priory. c.1300; much rebuilt in C19. Granite rubble and cut granite walls. Nave, chancel and site of crossing. Chamfered arch of 2 orders to possible former crossing arch and smaller arch to ritual epistle side of nave. Other fragmentary features include north entry with chamfered jambs of 2 orders. Inscribed C6 Early Christian tombstone reset below the east jamb of the doorway reads "THI FILI...COGI (or TOGI)". In use for burials until C19, and memorials include chest tomb with slate top to James Pender, d.1711, and Mary Nicholas, d.1807. The priory is mentioned in a charter of Henry I as belonging to Tavistock Abbey in the reign of Edward the Confessor. Subsidiary features: tall granite rubble walls enclose garden to south east and extend approx. 50m to west with return of 40m to north.

(P Laws: The Buildings of Scilly: Redruth: 1980-: 5; B.H. St.J.O'Neil: Isles of Scilly: London (HMSO): 1950-: 12-14; Buildings of England: Pevsner, N., and Ratcliffe, E.: Cornwall (London: 2nd ed. 1970), 210).

Listing NGR: SV8947614232

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62558

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Laws, P, The Buildings of Scilly, (1980), 5
O'Neil, BH St J , Isles of Scilly, (1950), 12-14
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (1970), 210
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

End of official listing