This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HUGH HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HUGH HOUSE

List entry Number: 1141186

Location

HUGH HOUSE, THE GARRISON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Isles of Scilly

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Mary's

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 62518

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST. MARY'S

SV9010 THE GARRISON, Hugh Town 1358-0/8/79 Hugh House

GV II

Built 1792 as Officer's Mess, now offices. Roughly coursed granite rubble with front above ground floor of granite ashlar; slate-hung side walls; gabled slate roof; granite end stacks. Double-depth plan with central stairhall. 3 storeys; symmetrical 5-window range, the central bays slightly recessed. Ground floor has keyed lintels over horned 3/6-pane sashes; first and second floors have wedge lintels over 6/6-pane sashes. Mid C20 pedimented doorway. Interior: remodelled in C20 but retains C19 panelled doors set in panelled reveals with moulded wood architraves. Built as an Officer's Mess for the Garrison, later became the first residence of Augustus Smith, Lord Proprietor of the Islands, before he moved to Tresco Abbey (q.v.). (P Laws: The Buildings of Scilly: Redruth: 1980-: 10).

Listing NGR: SV9005510504

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Laws, P, The Buildings of Scilly, (1980), 10

National Grid Reference: SV 90055 10504

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141186 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 04:46:56.

End of official listing