CROMWELLS CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141198

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1992

Statutory Address: CROMWELLS CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CROMWELLS CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141198 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 15:57:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CROMWELLS CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isles of Scilly (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Tresco

National Grid Reference: SV 88181 15968

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRESCO

SVB1NE Cromwell's Castle 1358-0/1/114

II*

Gun tower. 1651-2 with gun platform added c1740 by Abraham Tovey, Master Gunner. Randomly coursed granite rubble; granite platform roofs; stone stacks. Circular-plan tower with rectangular C18 gun platform addition on seaward side with external staircase. Tower has original entrance high up on south side, which had platform on stone corbels (still remaining) outside it; rectangular gunports, that to east in raised ovolo-moulded surround. Granite steps to chamfered arched doorway and winder stairs to C18 platform, which has 6 gun embrasures with segmental arches and inserted entrance to tower flanked by lean-tos consisting of a guardroom with fireplace and a latrine. Interior: tower built with unlighted basement below two accommodation floors, now with holes for missing floor joists and vaulted roof with ribs to upper room, which has chamfered surround to fireplace with chamfered segmental-arched relieving arch and simply moulded bases and capitals to piers dividing window embrasures. Spiral staircase and rebated doorways to platform. Shouldered chamfered segmental-arched entrance to winder stair rising through chamfered arched doorway to tower platform. Built following a threat to the islands by the Dutch, replacing the poorly sited King Charles Castle (q.v.). Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (P Laws: The Buildings of Scilly: Redruth: 1980-: 8; B.H. St.J.O'Neil: Isles of Scilly: London (HMSO): 1950-: 18-19; Buildings of England: Pevsner, N and Ratcliffe, E: Cornwall: London: 1951-1970: 211; Saunders A: Fortress Britain: Liphook: 1989-: 28-30).

Listing NGR: SV8818115968

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62549

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Laws, P, The Buildings of Scilly, (1980), 8
O'Neil, BH St J , Isles of Scilly, (1950), 18-19
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (1951), 211
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 211
Saunders, A D, Fortress Britain, (1989), 28-30

End of official listing