THE DAY MARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141204

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Statutory Address: THE DAY MARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DAY MARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141204 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 14:34:04.

Location

Statutory Address: THE DAY MARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isles of Scilly (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Martin's

National Grid Reference: SV 94186 16093

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST. MARTIN'S

SV9lNW The Day Mark 1358-0/2/21 06/04/59

II*

Day mark. Erected 1683 by Thomas Ekins, first steward of the Godophin Family to live on the islands. Rendered granite. Circular tower. 4.8m in diameter and 6.4m high, set back to conical termination making it llm high. Blocked arched entrance door with incorrect date of 1637. It was painted white until 1822 but by 1833 had been painted red, and is now painted in bands of red and white. Ekins encouraged the resettlement of St. Martins from the 1680s. The earliest surviving dated example of a beacon in the British Isles. (Hague D and Christie R: Lighthouses: Their Architecture, History and Archaeology: Llandysul: 1975-: 208; Borlase, W: Observations on ... the Islands of Scilly: Oxford: 1754-: 54).

Listing NGR: SV9418616093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62460

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Borlase, W, Observations on the Antiquities of the Islands of Scilly, (1754), 54
Hague, B, Christie, R, Lighthouses their Architecture History and Archaeology, (1975), 208

End of official listing