This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PIER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PIER

List entry Number: 1141209

Location

THE PIER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Isles of Scilly

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Mary's

National Park: N/A

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 62474

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST. MARY'S

SV9010 HUGH TOWN 1358-0/8/39 The Pier 12/02/75

GV II

Quay and breakwater. Begun by Francis Godolphin soon after 1601, rebuilt 1740 and 1748; new pier extending north to Rat Island built 1835-8 for Augustus Smith, Lord Proprietor of the Islands; lengthened 1889 for the flower trade. Granite rubble to earlier arm into harbour partly in vertically-coursed dry stonewall technique, and shaped granite blockwork to later arms. Breakwater has canted wall on sea side. Two granite piers at south entrance and cast-iron upturned cannon reused as bollards. The construction of a pier for the new harbour, St. Mary's Port, was associated with the fortification of the Hugh begun by Godolphin which included Star Castle and the Garrison walls (q.v.). (B.H. St.J.O'Neil: Isles of Scilly: London (HMSO): 1950-: 26; Borlase, William: Observations on the .... Islands of Scilly: Oxford: 1754-: 14).

Listing NGR: SV9019210788

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Borlase, W, Observations on the Antiquities of the Islands of Scilly, (1754), 14
O'Neil, BH St J , Isles of Scilly, (1950), 26

National Grid Reference: SV 90192 10788

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141209 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:51:53.

End of official listing