THE OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141210

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Statutory Address: THE OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 03:28:41.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isles of Scilly (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Mary's

National Grid Reference: SV 91109 10045

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST. MARY'S

SV9010 OLD TOWN 1358-0/8/108 The Old Church of St. Mary 06/04/59

GV II*

Church. C12 with rebuildings of 1666, 1743 and C19; restored from dereliction in 1830s for Augustus Smith, Lord Proprietor of the Islands; second restoration of 1890 for Rev W.E. Groves. Roughly coursed rubble granite with ashlar dressings; stone-coped gabled slate roof. Single-cell plan with north porch. East gable, rebuilt 1743, has 2-light above 3-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows; apex cross of c1200 to gable. South side has similar 2-light mullioned window. North side has similar window to centre, C19 round-headed doorway to right and porch to left with 1666 datestone above segmental-arched north doorway and chamfered surround to small west window. West gable with bellcote of two unmoulded piers of rubble. Interior: C12 north door (to porch) has roll-moulded jambs with scalloped capitals to round arch with solid stone tympanum. Two mid C17 marble tablets on guttae brackets. Late C19 east window has Crucifixion flanked by Virgin Mary and St.John. (P Laws: The Buildings of Scilly: Redruth: 1980-: 5; Buildings of England: Pevsner, N and Ratcliffe, E: Cornwall: London: 1951-1970: 209) .

Listing NGR: SV9110910045

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62476

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Laws, P, The Buildings of Scilly, (1980), 5
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (1951), 209
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 209

End of official listing