This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BUILDINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1141227

Location

BUILDINGS, 11-17
BUILDINGS, 11A
BUILDINGS, 19

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Minchinhampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Feb-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352206

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be included in the list:

ST 89 NE MINCHINHAMPTON AVENING VALLEY

7/10001 Buildings Nos 11,llA,12,13,14,15, 16,17 and 19

GV II

Buildings 11,llA,12 and 19 comprise C19 workshops and cottage forming block to south of Buildings 14 and 15, a C16/17 house extended and remodelled as mill prior to 1766 and extended in C19 by Buildings 13, 17 and 19. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate and concrete tile roofs. Built around yard open to E.

11 is pre-1830 and used to extend by at least one bay further east; llA added pre-1830 at right angles to W with N projection making L plan; 12 added pre 1830 to S of llA and E of 11; 19 added as an early/mid C19 cottage to W, as continuation along E-W axis of 11. One storey, except 19 of 2 storeys. S elevation: 19 of 1-window range has mid C19 porch with cusped bargeboards, inserted skylights and 4/8- pane sash; timber lintel over tall 5-light window to llA and timber lintels over 2 windows to 11. North elevation of llA, facing into yard, has timber lintels over plank door and two 4/8 pane sashes. N elevation of 12 of 3-window range has C20 double doors to left, fixed casements, skylights and C20 double doors to left. Interior: 11 has early C19 three-bay collar-truss roof, principal rafters with tenoned purlins adjoining later gable; C19 drive shafts. 12 has mid C19 two- bay roof with cast-iron shoes for purlins. 19A has early C19 fireplaces, one with hob grate, and beam.

Long rectangular plan to 14 and 16, comprising C16 domestic building remodelled in two phases in C18 with extension (16) to W of pre 1766 date. Building 13 (datestone 1865) built as offices to SE and 15 to NE rebuilt at same time as blacksmith's shop and offices, making cruciform plan. Building 17, of square plan, added c1860s as press house to W end.

Buildings 14 and 16 of 2 storeys and attic to N elevation which has C16 hollow-moulded mullioned window, 2 and 3-light C18 flat-mullioned windows and C19 four-light windows with top-hung leaded casements; C19 inserted round-headed windows and C19 8/8 pane sashes. South elevation of 3-storey 5-window range: C18 plain flat-mullioned windows with leaded lights; 14 has stone lintels over 2 doorways, 2 others made into windows in C19; 16 has doorway flanked by 2 flat- mullioned C18 windows, that to left (W) blocked; through-passage to E end and timber lintels over C20 upper floor windows. W gable end of 16 has round-headed taking-in door above second-floor window; east gable end replaced C19 and 3 segmental archways inserted on ground floor. Interior: C18 three-bay collar-truss roof with tenoned purlins to Building 16, which has had ground-floor ceiling inserted or replaced and plank door with strap hinges to former west gable taking-in door. Building 14 has hollow-chamfered surround to fireplace, deep stop-chamfered C16 beams and C18 stone stair; early/mid C16 moulded beam re-used as wall plate; first floor has cased beams and C18 stop- chamfered beam to left (W); C19 panelled reveals to sashes; 8-bay C18 collar-truss roof with tenoned purlins and waney principals.

Building 15 to NE of 2 storeys: 2-window range has stone lintel over C20 door and C19 mullioned windows of 2-4 lights; W elevation has reset C18 flat-mullioned window. Building 13 of 2 storeys with 1865 datestone: polygonal S end has reset trefoil-headed light flanked at top by pair of small lights above reset 1705 datestone; segmental- headed windows and door. Building 17 to W of coursed limestone block with double-gable roof, of slate to S and corrugated iron to N; and ashlar end stacks. 2 storeys with original round-headed windows. Interior: cast-iron columns and chamfered beams to both floors; roof of 5X5 bays has collar trusses with cast-iron shoes to purlins. The ground floor originally had steam-powered presses.

Listing NGR: ST8663299232

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 86654 99241

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141227 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 08:23:04.

End of official listing