CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141234

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1975

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 08:41:30.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isles of Scilly (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bryher

National Grid Reference: SV 87993 14911

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRYHER

SV81SE Church of All Saints 1358-0/3/1 12/02/75

II

Church. 1742 with additions and alterations of 1882 and 1897 and new roof of 1930. Roughly coursed granite rubble with slate roofs. Rectangular single-cell plan with narrowed sanctuary end and south-west tower. East gable has cross to apex and pair of chamfered lancets. 2-bay side walls have keyed semi-circular arched windows; west gable has line of earlier roof pitch. Lean-to porch to west end has keyed semi-circular arch over plank double doors. 2-stage tower has square-headed louvred belfry windows breaking raised course below eaves and pyramidal roof with apex cross. King-post roof. Altar rail with decorative wrought-iron brackets, Gothic-style choir stalls, chancel rail, benches and polygonal pulpit all with blind and open trefoil and quatrefoil panels. Plain granite font dated 1861. Brass oil lamps.Late C19 stained glass windows. (Borlase, William: Observations on the ..... Islands of Scilly: Oxford: 1754-: 56; Buildings of England: Pevsner, N and Ratcliffe, E: Cornwall: London: 1951-1970: 208).

Listing NGR: SV8799314911

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62438

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Borlase, W, Observations on the Antiquities of the Islands of Scilly, (1754), 56
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (1951), 208
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 208

End of official listing