This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1141292

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aythorpe Roding

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Oct-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352621

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SEVENTY SECOND LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST COMPILED UNDER SECTION 54 OF THE TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1971

TL 51 NE AYTHORPE RODING PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

2/80 23.2.67

GV II*

Chancel and nave C13, bell-turret circa 1300. Restored and N vestry and S porch added late C19. Flint rubble, cement rendered externally and plastered internally, clunch dressings much restored. Roofs tiled, bell-turret weatherboarded, spire shingled. E wall of chancel has 3 C19 lancet windows. In N wall 3 C13 lancet windows much restored externally. In the S wall 3 similar lancet windows; between the 2 W windows is a doorway, C19 externally but with splays and segmental rear arch C13. Brick angle buttresses at E end, early C20. In N wall of nave a lancet window similar to those in N wall of chancel but more widely splayed. Further W is the N doorway, C19 except for segmental rear-arch. In S wall 3 lancet windows uniform with that in N wall. Between the two W windows is the S doorway, C19 except for splays and segmental rear-arch, C13. In W wall a lancet window uniform with that in N wall. Chancel roof has wall plates with two bowtell in great casement mouldings, the lower edge concealed by plaster. A short section at the W end of each is missing, provably indicating the former position of a roof loft. Framed in 7 cants, mostly C19, but with one complete rafter couple at E end and some reused collar-braces on C19 rafters. 2 plain and waney tiebeams, inserted. Chancel arch of timber 2-centred, C19. Nave roof has plain wall plates and 2 tiebeams, the E plain and wavey, the W moulded, C15. Roof 7-canted, C19. Bell-turret at W end of nave on 4 posts, with curved braces to E tiebeam but missing under W tiebeam, circa 1300 (Hewett, 1982, pp. 667). Date of spire unknown, but a spire was mentioned in 1768 by Morant (II, 468). Three bells, all said to be by John Tonne, early C16, and inscribed (1) De celis missi nomen habeo gabrielis (2) Virginis atq matri resonet campana marie (3) Hec fratris simonis andree nomen habqto. Stone coffin-lid set in floor of nave near SE angle, with raised cross, much worn, C13. Floor-slab in nave to William Cowland, 1687. Piscina in S corner of chancel, with chamfered 2-centred head and 2 round drains, C13. Three plain benches, C16, and 5 others rebuilt with some later timber. Pulpit, font, all other benches C19. S door-leaf is C19 but incorporates older stock-lock, latch and nails. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL5843415350

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A , Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples, (1982), 667
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 468

National Grid Reference: TL 58434 15350

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141292 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 08:34:43.

End of official listing