MARCONI'S FIRST RADIO FACTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141330

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Dec-1978

Statutory Address: 1, HALL STREET

Statutory Address: THE OLD SILK MILL BUILDING, HALL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARCONI'S FIRST RADIO FACTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141330 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:35:39.

Location

Statutory Address: 1, HALL STREET

Statutory Address: THE OLD SILK MILL BUILDING, HALL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 71002 06305

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/11/2016

TL 7006 SE 5/63 TL 70 NW 7/63

HALL STREET The Old Silk Mill Building and 1 Hall Street Marconi's First Radio Factory

(Formerly listed as The Old Silk Mill Building and 1 Hall Street, previously listed as "Marconi" Radio Factory, HALL STREET, and previously listed as Marconi's first radio factory under Hall Street/Mildmay Road)

6.2.74.

II Former silk mill, built by John Hall of Coggeshall in 1856. Acquired by the Courtaulds of Braintree in 1865, then by Marconi in 1899 and used as the world’s first wireless factory. Of gault brick with parapetted south facade having Tuscan pilasters and partly stuccoed entablature with brick dentil course over radiused corner. Brick plinth. Two-storeys with metal industrial type windows having glazing bars and segmental brick arches. Roof clad with slate, plan roughly square with one curved corner. Plaque on the east wall commemorates Marconi's first factory. Converted into 6 flats and a commercial unit in 2016.



Listing NGR: TL7100206305

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352506

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing