This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1141369



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-May-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Dec-1978

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352494

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/09/2012

5213 TL 70 NW 7/55 20-5-49

CHURCH LANE (South Side) Springfield THE OLD RECTORY

(Formerly listed under Springfield Green)


Former rectory now house. Lead hopper head on North front dated 1752 with the initials CG for Charles Grettan MA (inducted 2 March 1746). 2 parallel ranges. Red brick in Flemish bond with tiled roof and brick chimney stack. East elevation of 2 storeys 5 windows. Parapet with stone coping. Projecting central pediment with ball finials and end quoins. 1 hipped dormer. 5 12-pane sashes with gauged brick arches above and decorative brick arches below. Central doorcase with round-headed fanlight with brackets, 6 panelled door and sidelights. North elevation has 2 gables with 6 pane sashes. 1st floor has 3 blocked centre windows and 2 side 12-pane sashes. Ground floor has a Venetian window. Rear range is of 3 bays with 3 hipped dormers, round-headed windows on 1st floor and C20 brick extension to ground floor. Attached to the north front is a red brick garden wall incorporating a round-headed entrance arch with Keystone and impost blocks and square gatepiers. To the west of the gatepiers the wall is about 9 feet high with 6 pilasters. Fine interior to house including mid C18 staircase with 3 turned balusters to each tread, scrolled tread ends, mahogany handrail and modillion cornice and dado rail. Late C19 plastered front hall with Tudor roses etc. Dining Room-has a wooden fireplace with eared architraves, central panel with female head and sunray marble inset. The 2 cupboards were converted into open recesses in 1823. Front Drawing Room has mid C18 fireplace with console brackets ovolo-moulded cornice and oval plastered motif to ceiling with fruits in high relief. Elaborate early C19 cast iron firegrate to 1 attic bedroom. Windows retain shutters and window seats and there are a series of original doors.

Listing NGR: TL7181007936

The asset was previously listed twice also under the street name Church Street at List entry 1263936. This entry was removed from the List on 8 September 2016.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 71810 07936


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141369 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 09:41:03.

End of official listing