CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141405.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 12:09:37.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Devon (District Authority)
- Newton Poppleford and Harpford
- National Grid Reference:
SY 09 SE NEWTON POPPLEFORD HARPFORD
4/57 Church of St Gregory
Parish Church. Norman font, late C14 arcade and east window to aisle, late C15 tower, the rest thoroughly renovated if not rebuilt in 1883 by Haywood and Son. Both the C15 and C19 masonry is similar: local stone rubble with Beerstone detail. The roof is of red tiles with crested and pierced ridgetiles. The layout appears to be that of the Perpendicular church but only the late C15 west tower remains essentially intact. The nave with its south porch and the slightly lower and narrower chancel appear predominantly 1883 work. So too does the north aisle although the arcade and east end are late C14. The vestry and organ loft on the north side of the chancel was new-built in 1883. The west tower is of 2 stages, unbuttressed with chamfered plinth, soffit-moulded dripcourses and embattled parapet. On the north side the semi-hexagonal stair turret projects. It contains tiny slit windows, some shaped as quatrefoils, and rises above the main tower with its own embattled parapet. It is surmounted by a wrought iron weather cock, presumably C19. The belfry window to right of the turret has a flat-arched head with sunken spandrels. Similar 2-light belfry windows on the other sides. The doorway on the west side is a 2-centred arch with moulded surround and contains a C19 plank door with studded coverstrips and plain strap hinges. The 3-light window directly above has much-restored Perpendicular tracery and moulded hood. The rest of the exterior shows only 1883 detail. All the gables have Beerstone kneelers, coping and apex crosses. The south side of the nave projects a little from the tower. It has 3 windows interrupted by the gabled south porch to left of centre. Its 2-centred outer arch has a moulded surround and a hoodmould with its labels carved as a king and bishop's head. The window to left is 2 lights with acutely pointed arch. The window to right is 3 lights. Both have Perpendicular style tracery and hoodmould with carved head labels. The right (east) end window is a small trefoil-headed lancet close to a buttress with weathered offsets marking the end of the nave. The south side of the chancel has 2 lancets, one each side of the priest's doorway, a 2-centred arch containing a plank door. All have chamfered surrounds. The east end contains a large 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould without labels. On the north side is another lancet before the gable end of the vestry which contains a doorway identical to the priest's door with an arch-headed window alongside containing Y-tracery. An octagonal chimney shaft rises from the outer corner. There is a single lancet on the north side. The vestry projects a little from the north aisle. The north side of the aisle contains 3 windows, all are 2-light with flat-arched heads and sunken spandrels whilst the west end window has a very low segmental pointed arch over 3 lights, like triple lancets, with sunk spandrels and moulded hood. There are C19 cast iron drainpipes all round. Interior. The porch has a tile floor and common rafter roof of 1883. Contemporary south doorway is a 2-centred arch with chamfered surround and contains a plank door with ornate strap hinges. All the roofs are open C19 wagon roofs with moulded arch bracing to the main trusses, moulded purlins and large carved bosses. These are backed by pine boards. The tall tower arch is late C15. It has a chamfered surround and the soffit of the arch itself is lined in Beerstone with sunken trefoil-headed panels. The chancel arch is C19, a plain Beerstone arch with chamfered surround. The 3-bay arcade is late C14 and carried on octagonal piers with plain soffit-chamfered caps. There is a contemporary 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery at the east end of the aisle, now blocked by the C19 organ loft. There is a large Beerstone arch from the chancel to the organ loft and a small 2-centred arch doorway alongside to the vestry. The floors are of C19 tiles with encaustic tiles in the chancel which are used increasingly towards the altar which sits on a marble plinth containing panels of encaustic tiles. Either side are reset graveslabs of C17 rectors. C19 oak Gothic-style altar and similar carved oak reredos comprising a blind arcade on a marble shelf and flanked by original brass candle holders. Beerstone piscina to right in trefoil-headed arch. The oak altar rails are C17 in style. It has a moulded rail on clustered shafts with moulded caps. C19 stalls in Gothic style and similar oak octagonal pulpit with openwork quatrefoils in the panels. Attractive C19 brass lectern with twisted stem and scrolled brackets. C19 plain deal benches. C19 Gothic style panelled tower screen. C17 oak chest has panelled front and is incribed GD 1662. The base of the font is Norman. It has a C19 square bowl of Beerstone and the 4 corner columns of marble are contemporary. The circular sandstone stem and moulded base, however, are Norman. Some plain C19 marble monuments. On the south side of the chancel a small Beerstone plaque is insribed with the sacred monogram and includes the initials IR and date 1603. It was set in the gable of the porch before the 1883 restoration. Some good Victorian stained glass. The east window is a memorial to Lydia Hoskin Pippin (d.1870), but the best are the Queen Victoria Jubilee window in the nave and the 2 in the aisle. Painted arms of George IV in the tower and dated 1830. A painted board in the porch records a contribution towards the 1883 restoration. The late C15 tower was the only part to survive the 1883 restoration substantially intact although the arcade and east window of the north aisle are late C14. It was nevertheless a competent restoration and the church provides a nice centrepiece of an attractive hamlet. Source: Devon C19 Church Project
Listing NGR: SY0908490329
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing