TREASBEARE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141434

Date first listed: 26-May-1987

Statutory Address: TREASBEARE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TREASBEARE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141434 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:54:09.

Location

Statutory Address: TREASBEARE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Clyst Honiton

National Grid Reference: SY 00763 94158

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 09 SW CLYST HONITON

3/20 Treasbeare Farmhouse -

- II

Farmhouse. Probably early C16 with major early C17 improvements; modernised and enlarged circa 1850-60. Plastered cob on rubble footings, replaced and patched with C19 brick in places; the west side has 3 plastered stacks all with ashlar chimney shafts, the rear 2 probably have ashlar stacks too but the front one is probably brick, and the front block has another brick stack with C19 brick shaft; slate roof although rear block was probably thatched before circa 1850-60. L-shaped house. Now the main block faces south and the older west-facing house is now relegated to service use. Before circa 1850-60 the house was apparently a 3- room and through-passage plan house facing west with the service end at the right (southern) end. Both hall and inner room have projecting front lateral stacks. Circa 1850-60 an unheated dairy with store above was added to the inner room (the northern end). At the same time the house was radically reorganised. New principal rooms were provided in a southern crosswing comprising 2 rooms with projecting end stacks and a stair behind the right (eastern) room in an extension of the original through-passage. Probably at the same time the rear of the hall was rebuilt in brick, possibly when the original stair was removed. 2 storeys throughout. Symmetrical 4-window south front of circa 1850-60. The ground floor has French windows with margin panes and a 4-bay glass-roofed verandah supported on timber posts with shaped spandrels. The first floor has horned 4-pane sashes and the wall here is clad with C20 asbestos slate. The roof is hipped each end. The west front has an irregular 4-window front of C19 and C20 casements. The dairy extension at the left end has only 2 narrow ventilators. Towards the right end is the front doorway to the passage containing a C19 6-panel door with panelled reveals behind a contemporary gabled and glass-roofed porch. Roof here is lower than the front block and gable-ended to rear. The most imposing feature of this front is the 3 projecting stacks with ashlar chimney shafts and weathered offsets. The rear (left- hand) stack has a probably C19 royal head fixed to the face. Interior: the rear block appears to retain the intact C16 or C17 fabric of the hall, passage and inner room although much is hidden by C19 plaster. Both hall and inner room fireplaces are blocked. The inner room has a 3-bay ceiling carried on C17 soffit-chamfered and scroll-stopped crossbeams. The rear bay retains early C17 ornamental plasterwork; a good single rib ceiling with angle sprays, symbols of the Trinity such as three hares and three fishes and individual naturalistic motifs such as an owl, a peacock and a mermaid with comb and mirror. The inner room-hall partition is a C17 oak plank-and-muntin screen, its muntins chamfered with scroll stops. In the hall the beams are boxed in with C19 plaster. The roof is only partially accessible. Over the inner room the 3-bay roof carried on A-frame trusses with mortice, tenoned and pegged collars and soffit-chamfered and scroll-stopped purlins. There is a close-studded closed truss partition to the hall where the roofspace is inaccessible. Below the trusses of the 3-bay roof are plastered over but appear to be either arch-braced or, more likely, jointed cruck trusses. Also it is not known whether or not the roof here is smoke-blackened. The front block is entirely C19 with moulded plaster cornices and a stick baluster stair with a mahogony handrail. The roof here was not inspected. The earliest documentary reference to Treasbeare is in 928 and from the Cll to 1983 the farm belonged to the Dean and Chapter of Exeter Cathedral. It is well- documented, even down to the wills of several of its Cl6 and Cl7 occupants, and contemporary surveys. From 1539 it was leased by the Yard family who later became the Sainthill family and occupied the place into the Cl9. Source: manuscript notes on the documentary history made by R T C Street (1971)

Listing NGR: SY0076394158

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352341

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing