DEGEMBRIS MAJOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141444

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1988

Statutory Address: DEGEMBRIS MAJOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of DEGEMBRIS MAJOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141444 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 04:53:20.

Location

Statutory Address: DEGEMBRIS MAJOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Newlyn East

National Grid Reference: SW 85222 56846

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST NEWLYN EAST SW 85 NE 2/1 Degembris Major Farmhouse and attached outbuildings

--- II

Farmhouse. C16-early C17 and late C18. Elvan and killas, limewashed, and slate hung to front, slate roof. Plan: Off centre front entrance, sitting room to left with gable stack, smaller heated room to left with kitchen at far left. Integral lean-to (linhay) at rear for full length originally containing dairy, and stair, raised to 1½ storeys when main roof raised. Building has two storey farm building of C16-C17 attached in line to left gable and single storey stable wing added in front of junction. Two storeys, Front slate hung. Half glazed door with pent porch roof. Paned casement windows but 4-paned sashes either side of entrance. Gable brick stacks. Interior: Modernised. Right gable fireplace has timber lintel, not now visible, and left gable fireplace originally had large fireplace with cloam oven, now removed. Linhay has chamfered ceiling joists without stops.

Farm building continuing range. Killas with granite and elvan dressings. Two storeys, four window bays. Two light stone mullioned chamfered windows with some original plank shutters to each floor, 2 to ground floor, and 3 to upper floor with upper level door with chamfered sill. C19 roof of Cornish type. Upper floor, now store, has some shafting. Added to front, a 3-bay stable building of mid C19. Killas with slate roof. Loose boxes on ground floor with stable doors and segmental buff brick arches. Pitching doors to loft.

Degembris is mentioned by Carew as a tithing of the hundred of Pydar in 1650.

Listing NGR: SW8522256846

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63945

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Carew, R, The Survey of Cornwall, (1602)

End of official listing