ZELAH CHAPEL, AND FORECOURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141472

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1988

Statutory Address: ZELAH CHAPEL, AND FORECOURT, A30 ZELAH

Map

Ordnance survey map of ZELAH CHAPEL, AND FORECOURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141472 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 02:10:48.

Location

Statutory Address: ZELAH CHAPEL, AND FORECOURT, A30 ZELAH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Allen

National Grid Reference: SW8105551733

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST ALLEN A30. ZELAH SW 85 SW (West side) 4/75 Zelah Chapel, and forecourt

--- II

Methodist chapel and schoolroom. Chapel 1859. Killas stone with granite dressings, brick arches to openings. Plan: Chapel near square, with entrance on north, and narrower rectangular Sunday school added central to south face, having entrance towards road. Front has pair of 6-panelled doors with fanlight, and 9-in brick arch with a raised keystone bearing the date. Two round-headed windows above to balcony level, also with stone keys, and margin glazed sashes. Side windows similar 30-paned sashes with stained glass fanlights. Roof hipped. Schoolroom added 1868, pebbledashed, with slate roof. Two bays. Central pair boarded doors with datestone over, and two 24-paned sashes, Small gable stack and lean-to gig-shed at south end.

Forecourt of chapel of semicircular form, killas walls approx 1.5m high with peaked coping. Monolithic granite gatepiers holding simple bar-iron overthrow, the lantern missing. Gate has scrolled ornamental crest. Path from gate to chapel door is of patterned yellow clayware pavoirs.

Interior: Walls plastered. Flat ceiling with moulded cornice and 4 roses for pendant lights. North gallery of stained pine on single central column, the front panelled and having moulded rails, all on paired brackets. Dog leg stair with turned newels and balusters. Body of chapel has central pulpit raised over 6 steps, panelled front. Openwork iron panels either side to raised choir stalls, and rail around communion table enclosure on iron stanchions. Organ inserted to left of pulpit later, and pews of aisle turned at right angles and tiered. Monument: White marble tablet on black slate commemoratinq 5 dead of 1914-18 war. Schoolroom has raised staging with front boards folding on trestles.

Listing NGR: SW8105551733

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63914

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing