This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TREGASSOW HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TREGASSOW HOUSE

List entry Number: 1141477

Location

TREGASSOW HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Erme

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63924

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST ERME SW 84 NW 8/85 Tregassow House 28.2.1952 -- II

Farmhouse. Late C17. Said to be 1692, incorporating remains of C16 build. Coursed killas ashlar with slate roof. Added wing of 1973 pebbledashed with tile roof. Plan: Central entrance to wide hall, parlour on right, drawing room on left. Living kitchen at lower ground floor in rear wing on right. Narrow rear range with stair in projection opposite front entrance. Two storeys with basement on right. Central wide 6-panelled door in heavy frame. Dentilled pediment on consoles. Twelve-paned sash windows in boxes set to front of openings, and with much crown glass. Radial stone lintels. Moulded plinth and eaves. West gable has tripartite sashes with chamfered timber lintels. Two-light timber windows in half-hipped gable over lean-to stair roof. Interior: Good stair of late C17-early C18. Some panelling. Timber fire surround to drawing room fireplace on rear wall. Living kitchen has very large open fireplace with moulded surround and cloam oven. Remains of Cornish range built in to left. Site said to be occupied by John Tregassow in c.1320. The present house was built by Thomas Coke, from monies gained by a 'parsimonious and inferior practice of the law', son of John Coke of Trerice (St Allen), who illegitimately smelted tin at the Godolphin blowing house. It was planned to have two rear wings, which were not built. (Polsoe, J. 'Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall' I 344-5)

Listing NGR: SW8548949046

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872), 344-5

National Grid Reference: SW 85489 49046

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141477 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 07:08:59.

End of official listing