FORMER PUMPING ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY OF WEST WHEAL KITTY MINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141485

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: FORMER PUMPING ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY OF WEST WHEAL KITTY MINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER PUMPING ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY OF WEST WHEAL KITTY MINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141485 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 06:12:15.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER PUMPING ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY OF WEST WHEAL KITTY MINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Agnes

National Grid Reference: SW7200550579

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST AGNES SW 75 SW 4/212 Former Pumping Engine House and 16.7.85 chimney of West Wheal Kitty Mine GV II

Pumping beam engine house. Circa 1889. Killas rubble with granite quoins, brick arches over principal openings, some granite lintels. Brick to upper part of chimney. Plan: Rectangular plan engine house with round chimney clasping the rear left-hand corner. No wooden floors or roof structure. A 40" engine built by Harvey and Co in 1863 was moved to West Wheal Kitty, then moved to Carpalla, and is now at the Science Museum. Exterior: 3 storeys. Unaltered elevations. Round-headed openings to front, rear and nearside walls. Front (bob) wall has central doorway. Rear wall has central wide cylinder doorway and window opening to each floor above. Right-hand (nearside wall) has 4 irregularly disposed window openings and 2 smaller openings. Left-hand (offside) walls has doorway on the right and small opening to each of the other floors. Source: Sharpe, Adam and Smith, John. Engine Houses in St Agnes Parish. (Cornwall Archaeological Unit survey for Carrick District Council.

Listing NGR: SW7200550579

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63840

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sharpe, A, Smith, J, Engine Houses in St Agnes Parish

End of official listing