CHURCH OF SAINT PIRAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1141586
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PIRAN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PIRAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141586.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:06:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PIRAN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Perranarworthal
National Grid Reference:
SW 77926 38930

Details

SW 73 NE PERRANARWORTHAL CHURCH ROAD, Perranarworthal

3/319 Church of Saint Piran 30.5.67

GV II*

Parish church. C15 tower, chancel first rebuilt 1842, then chancel, nave, aisle and porch rebuilt in 1882 by Piers St Aubyn. Granite ashlar, killas rubble and dressed granite details. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends. Plan: nave and chancel under I roof, west tower, south aisle and south porch plus small C20 vestry at east end of aisle. Tower of 3 stages: granite ashlar with strings dividing stages of diminishing width; embattled parapet with crocketted corner pinnacles with cross finials on shafts corbelled out and rising from coved parapet cornice; all original openings with hoods and relieving arches over; moulded 4-centred west doorway with C19 door; and 3-light Perpendicular windows with slate louvres and quatrefoil tracery to upper stage. All other windows are C19 in the Perpendicular style. North wall has chancel windows, left, and 4 nave windows all with 3 lights except for 2-light one on right. East wall has aisle gable left with 3-light trefoil-headed traceried window, partly obscured by C20 vestry and chancel gable projecting on right with 3-light traceried window. South wall has 1 window left of porch and 4 windows right of porch, all with 2 lights except one to far right with 3 lights. Further 3-light window to west gable of aisle. Porch doorway and inner south doorway are C19 with pointed arches. Interior C19 arch-braced and wind-braced roof structures, C19 granite 6-bay arcade with steep 4-centred arches over inner doorway is resited Norman tympanum. Fittings: painted letter from King Charles I at Sudely Castle, 1643 with painted coated of arms on the reverse side; octagonal granite font possibly late medieval but reorked in the C19; otherwise pews and other fittings, including pulpit over moulded granite base, date from the 1882 rebuilding. Monuments: Classical marble wall monument to Benjamnin Sampson, died 1840 aged 70, of Tullimaar qv. and coloured glass in east chancel window to John Jose of Mellingey. coloured glass in a south aisle window to Wm. Jory Henwood F.R.S. d. 1875, a prominent geologist. Information from Kelly's directory and THE PARISH OF PERRAN-ar-WORTHAL by EEW. Ryall.

Listing NGR: SW7792638930

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
63587
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ryall, E E W, The Parish of Perran ar Worthal
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14039/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].