Dry Sand shop and Green Sand shop

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141603

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-1990

Statutory Address: Dry Sand shop and Green Sand shop, Perran Wharf

Map

Ordnance survey map of Dry Sand shop and Green Sand shop
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141603 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 00:31:57.

Location

Statutory Address: Dry Sand shop and Green Sand shop, Perran Wharf

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Mylor

National Grid Reference: SW 77616 38429

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 73 NE 3/253

MYLOR PERRAN WHARF Dry Sand shop and Green Sand shop (formerly part of group listed as Perran Foundry)

30.5.67

GV II* Mould and casting buildings, now store. Circa early-mid C19. Painted shale rubble walls, brick arches. Three roofs with gable ends or adjoining; grouted scantle slate over main block (Dry Sand shop) with upper half of west gable weather boarded; clay pantiles over Green Sand shop, adjoining at east; and corrugated asbestos over stove extension at west.

Plan of three roughly rectangular adjoining buildings. Main building (Dry Sand Shop) with spaces for furnaces (stoves) at east and west plus two later stacks each with two flues to north side. Single storey Sand Shop at east is narrower, and two storey stove extension at west, much narrower, and adjoins south side of gable of main building. There was originally a water wheel at south side of Dry Sand Shop. Two storeys. Dry Sand Shop has large round-headed arches to north and west walls, originally furnace entrances, except for central west doorway. Other arches are partly or wholly blocked or hidden by later building. West gable end has two first floor openings probably originally with windows. First floor of Stove has four of the original seven openings spanned by granite lintels. Original ground floor openings blocked.

Interior has original king post roof structures and much evidence of former use.

Part of the Perran Iron Foundry, founded in 1791, and in its heyday the most important foundry in Cornwall, manufacturing some of the largest beam engines ever constructed.

Plan of Perran Foundry, circa 1860 (CRC).

This is the main furnace building which in the C19 must have been both hot and dangerous. Now, with some of the 'stove' projections removed and with its brick arches standing alone, it is still quite impressive and surprisingly intact.

Listing NGR: SW7761638429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63531

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing