TOWER AT APPROX 12M WEST OF CHURCH OF SAINT MYLOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141635

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: TOWER AT APPROX 12M WEST OF CHURCH OF SAINT MYLOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER AT APPROX 12M WEST OF CHURCH OF SAINT MYLOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141635 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 06:23:58.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWER AT APPROX 12M WEST OF CHURCH OF SAINT MYLOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Mylor

National Grid Reference: SW 81999 35236

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 83 NW MYLOR MYLOR CHURCHTOWN

4/229 Tower at approx 12m west of Church of Saint Mylor

GV II

Detached bell tower with 2 attached headstones. Circa early C15. Shale rubble lower stage and circa early C20 weather boarded upper stage. Dry Delabole slate roof with gable ends and crested clay ridge tiles. Square-on-plan, built into steep hillside to west. Steep 4-centred rubble arched doorway to middle of east side with circa early C20 ledged door with chamfered frame and glazed tympanum. North side has rubble string probably indicating top of lower stage before remodelling. Louvred 2-light ventilator to north and south weather boarded gables, Interior has 3 bells, recast in 1888. No 1 medieval and retains the old legend: "In honore Santi Georgii". No 2 is dated 1637 and has the legend: "Ego me preco se damando conterimus audite venite". No 3 has the date 1664. (Church Guide). At either side of doorway is attached a slate headstone. Left-hand headstone is 1870 to Stephen Stephens who died aged 60, and has incised pilasters with flower capitals flanking inscription; each capital surmounted by scrolled plan tendril as spandrel decoration to shouldered head framing central urn. Right-hand headstone is 1810 to Jane Stephens who died aged 75, and is nowy-headed over concave corners. This tower is very simple and has little architectural evidence for precise dating but presumably it predates the C15 bell turret which surmounts the west gable of the church. There are several detached bell towers in Cornwall and placed on higher ground than the church, presumably to gain height for better sound transmission, and better as landmarks or look out towers and at lower cost.

Listing NGR: SW8199935236

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63507

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing