ENGINEERS SHOP

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1141643
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Jan-1990
Statutory Address:
Engineers shop, Perran Wharf

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141643.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 10:22:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
Engineers shop, Perran Wharf

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mylor
National Grid Reference:
SW 77573 38408

Details

SW 73 NE 3/251

MYLOR PERRAN WHARF Engineers shop

(formerly part of group listed as Perran)

30.5.67

GV II* Engineers shop, boring mill and pattern shop, now store. Circa early-mid C18 and partly enclosing earlier structure possibly late C18. Painted rubble walls with brick arches and wooden lintels. Corrugated asbestos and scantle slate roofs with gable ends and large stack at south side paragraph.

Overall plan survives since the C19, of large tapered single-storey working area covered by parallel roofs running east west; rectangular two-storey building with roof running north south adjoins at east end and further rectangular extension (originally pattern shop adjoins middle of west end).

This building's machinery was driven by two waterwheels turned by water from leat passing parallel to south and discharged into river parallel to north side. Wheels and machinery since removed. Many original openings survive, wide and narrow doorways, including openings at north gable end to ground floor, first floor and to gable. Many first floor window openings with some window frames covered in P.V.C. sheeting.

Interior has original roof structures of both king post and queen post type.

Part of the Perran Iron Foundry founded in 1791, and in its heyday the most important foundry in Cornwall, manufacturing some of the largest beam engines ever constructed.

Plan of Perran Foundry circa 1860 (CRC).

Despite superficial C20 alterations, this is a very complete C19 industrial building.

Listing NGR: SW7757338408

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
63529
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].