This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

2 CHEST TOMBS AND HEADSTONE AT APPROX 5M EAST OF ALL HALLOWS CHURCH OF SAINT KEA

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 2 CHEST TOMBS AND HEADSTONE AT APPROX 5M EAST OF ALL HALLOWS CHURCH OF SAINT KEA

List entry Number: 1141652

Location

2 CHEST TOMBS AND HEADSTONE AT APPROX 5M EAST OF ALL HALLOWS CHURCH OF SAINT KEA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Kea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63443

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 84 SW KEA KEA

2/159 2 chest tombs and headstone at approx 5m east of All Hallows Church of Saint Kea

GV II

2 chest tombs and headstone. West chest tomb. 1836, to Mary Giddy and John her brother, by Edgcombe; east chest tomb, 1849 to Mary Jenkins and headstone, 1813 to James Treloar and Alice his wife. Chest tombs are rectangular-on-plan with outer plinths for railings(removed). Outer plinths are granite, originally surmounted by iron railings and chests are of brick stretchers with slate lids. West chest has incised lid inscription to Mary Giddy, 1858-1822 also John her brother, 1760-1835. East chest has incised lid inscription to Mary Jenkins, d, 1849 aged 61. Headstone, of slate with concave corners is nowy-headed with incised inscription to James Treloar d. 1813 aged 63 and Alice his wife d, 1813 aged 62. The present church, of 1896, replaces a church of 1802 designed by James Wyatt, and the churchyard dates from then. Very few tomb monuments survive at the earlier church at Old Kea; so the earlier C19 churchyard monuments in this churchyard, though modest architecturally, are historically important for this parish.

Listing NGR: SW8103642648

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW8103642648

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:04:53.

End of official listing