4 AND 6, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141675

Date first listed: 16-Apr-1971

Statutory Address: 4 AND 6, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 4 AND 6, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141675 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 08:38:14.

Location

Statutory Address: 4 AND 6, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Tollesbury

National Grid Reference: TL 95594 10450

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOLLESBURY HIGH STREET TL 9410-9510 (north side) 8/21 Nos. 4 and 6 16.4.71 GV II

House, now 2 houses. C14/C15, much altered in C18 and C19. Timber framed, partly clad with red brick in Flemish bond, the remainder plastered, roofed with modern plain tiles. 2-bay hall facing S, with C18/C19 internal stack in left bay, in front of ridge. 2-bay parlour/solar crosswing to right, with C19 internal stack at right side, and C18 extension to rear with internal end stack. Service end to left, reported to be in the form of a crosswing, with C18 extension to rear with hipped roof, and C19 single-storey lean-to extension beyond. C19 single-storey lean-to extension between rear wings. 2 storeys. No. 4 (at right) has on the ground floor one late C19 tripartite window of 2-4-2 lights and one late C19 sash of 6 lights, on the first floor 2 C19 sashes of 6 lights, similar in general design but respectively with and without horns, and a C20 boarded door with simple canopy. No. 6 (at left) has on the ground floor 2 C20 casements, on the first floor 2 early C19 sashes of 4 + 8 lights, and a C20 half-glazed door with simple canopy. Continuous roof of hipped gambrel form. The right crosswing has plain joists of horizontal section jointed to the binding beam with unrefined central tenons, and a collar-rafter roof. The hall has an inserted floor of circa 1600 comprising a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, formerly supported at the left end by a larger inserted stack than the present one, and plain joists of square section supported on clamps. In partition between hall and right crosswing, parlour doorway with incomplete 4-centred head and mortice for draught screen, and some original wattle and daub infill. The walls of the hall have been raised and the roof rebuilt, re-using a tiebeam with double concave mouldings. RCHM 12.

Listing NGR: TL9559410450

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 353142

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)

End of official listing