This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE VICARAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1141711

Location

THE VICARAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Manaccan

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 65261

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 72 NE MANACCAN MANACCAN

2/98 The Vicarage -

GV II

Vicarage. C18 with probably earlier core, remodelled circa early and later C19. Shale rubble and cob walls, partly slate-hung to south east side, slate sills, wooden lintels. Scantle slate roofs with gable ends. Brick chimneys over some gable ends and over 1 cross wall. Irregular evolved plan: circa mid C18 front south west range with 2 equal size reception rooms flanking central cross passage, shallow service room under integral outshut behind left-hand room and stair behind right-hand room linked to probably original range at right angles, heightened in C18 and retained as service wing, then another service range added parallel to an adjoining rear outshut, then extended to left and finally at right angles to rear left. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window south west front with central doorway. Original hornless 16-pane sashes to first floor and circa early C20 French windows to ground floor. Chamfered and stopped wooden lintels. Slightly projecting boxed eaves. South east front has barred window to the coal cellar under the stair. Interior partly inspected: some good quality C18 detail survives, including: stairs with column turned balusters; some field panelling, completely panelled to left hand room with moulded wooden cornice, and 2-panel doors, some with HL hinges. This vicarage was the home of Richard Polwhele, historian, writer and poet, when Rector between 1794 and 1821. Polwhele was also Justice of the Peace and when Captain Bligh was mistakenly arrested for spying while carrying out survey work on the Helford River, Polwhele had him put in the village lock up, a small room in the vicarage. However they later became friends. (church guide).

Listing NGR: SW7644325020

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Church of Saint Manacca Church Guide

National Grid Reference: SW 76443 25020

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 11:54:30.

End of official listing