TOWER AT SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF SAINT WINWALOE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1141760
Date first listed:
22-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
TOWER AT SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF SAINT WINWALOE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER AT SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF SAINT WINWALOE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141760 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 09:12:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWER AT SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF SAINT WINWALOE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Gunwalloe
National Grid Reference:
SW 66010 20534

Details

SW 62 SE GUNWALLOE

3/32 Tower at south west of Church of - Saint Winwaloe

GV II

Detached church bell tower. Reputed to be C13 (church guide) but present structure much rebuilt in the C19. Shale rubble with granite dressings. Pyramidal dry Delabole slate roof, re-roofed in 1938 (church guide). Square on plan and built into a cave in the basement. Single stage with bell chamber over basement. East wall has central round headed C19 doorway to basement and pair of louvred slits to the bell chamber above. Further slit opening to middle of north side. Interior not inspected but contains 3 medieval bells, recast in 1926 (church guide).

Listing NGR: SW6601020534

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
65189
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of Saint Winwaloe Church Guide

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04426/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Froggatt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].