THE GUILDHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1141793

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1961

Statutory Address: THE GUILDHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GUILDHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 04:17:53.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GUILDHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Poundstock

National Grid Reference: SX 20206 99411

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 29 NW POUNDSTOCK POUNDSTOCK

10/148 The Guildhouse 29.9.61

GV I

Guildhouse. C15 origins. Circa early C16 remodelling, restoration of 1919 by E H Sedding. Stone rubble to first floor level, whitewashed plastered cob above, slate roof gabled at north and south ends, axial brick chimney. Original plan of 10 bay open hall. Stack and first floor inserted probably early C16. First floor entrance from churchyard at north gable end, 2 ground floor entrances on west side via a walled approach with stone coping. 2 storeys. Buttresses with weatherings, 3 to west side, 2 to east side. Timber 4-light mullioned windows throughout look early C16 in form, mostly repaired 1919. Ground floor windows have chamfered lintels and sills, 4 round-headed lights with ogee chamfers and moulded mullions. King and outer mullions have small hollow chamfers and a bead moulding, subsidiary mullions have small hollow chamfers. Leaded panes. Southernmost window on east side unrestored. First floor windows similar in form irregularly arranged and slightly smaller with roll mouldings. 4 window west front has 2 probably 1919 plank entrance doors with older frames under wider timber lintels. Blocked opening with timber frame to ground floor left; 4 ground floor windows, 4 first floor windows. Lead guttering and down pipes may be C18. North gable end has first floor C16 timber doorframe with slightly cambered head under a timber lintel. Bead moulding on lintel and jambs. On either side of the door is a small 2-light C16 timber mullioned window with ogee-headed chamfers. Left-hand window looks original. Right-hand window under heavy timber lintel. Interior: 11 C15 trusses with principals with curved feet resting on wall plate. Slightly cambered collars mortised into principals, 3 tiers of threaded purlins, principals mortised at apex, diagonally-set ridge. Some replacement of roof timbers but smoke-blackening on originals seems to be throughout. Partition wall at stack, but room otherwise undivided. C20 fireplace to south side of stack. East side wall plate original. No stair to ground floor. Ground floor interior not inspected but large cross beams are supported on engaged brick piers. In the Churchwardens' Accounts the building is described as the "Parish Alms House", the "Church House" and the "Poor House". In 1811 it was inhabited by 8 paupers. In 1858 the first floor was used as a schoolroom and the ground floor was use as a sexton's room and stables with a reference to a stone staircase. Outstanding survival of a medieval guildhouse. J G Edwards, The Story of Poundstock Church and Parish (Poundstock, 1979)

Listing NGR: SX2020699405

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 64948

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Edwards, J G, The Story of Poundstock Church and Parish, (1979)

End of official listing