This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MARCONI MEMORIAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARCONI MEMORIAL

List entry Number: 1141890

Location

MARCONI MEMORIAL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Mullion

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 64670

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MULLION POLDHU COVE SW 61 NE 5/90 Marconi Memorial II Commemorative memorial. Erected in 1937 by the Marconi Company of London. Designed by Kelly and Co (Cramb Bros) Ltd of London. Granite ashlar. Stepped square base. Thick slightly tapered shaft with moulded corners stopped at base, on square plinth with commemorative plaques on each side. The shaft is surmounted by the emblem of a globe within a double triangular frame. The 4 plaques on the plinth commemorate the work of G Marconi and his research experiments at the Poldhu Wireless Station between 1900 - 1933. The Poldhu Wireless Station stood from 1900 - 1933 100 yards north-east of this column. From here the first signals conveyed across the Atlantic were transmitted by wireless telegraphy 12 12 1901. From the station in 1923 and 1924, C S Franklin (inventor of the Franklin Beam aerial) directed his short wave wireless beam transmission to Marconi in the South Atlantic.

Listing NGR: SW6631819415

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW6631819415

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141890 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 03:15:36.

End of official listing