OLD TOWN HALL WITH RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141923

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Dec-1997

Statutory Address: OLD TOWN HALL WITH RAILINGS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD TOWN HALL WITH RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141923 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 19:44:54.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD TOWN HALL WITH RAILINGS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SY 67631 78632

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEYMOUTH

SY6778NE HIGH STREET 873-1/23/180 (South side) 12/12/53 Old Town Hall, with railings (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET Weymouth Old Town Hall)

GV II

Former town hall, now meeting rooms. c1774, extensively restored and altered 1896. Portland stone, some ashlar, mainly squared and coursed, tile roof. EXTERIOR: a 2-storey structure set into the slope to the S in Chapelhay Street, with small bell turret and porch to the W. The broad-gabled W front, with saddle-back coping, is set back from the small square porch/turret with saddle roof to a pediment over arched bell opening. Below this a 2-light window is covered by an added clock face, above a plank door in an arched opening with chamfered surround and keystone. The door is on 4 stone steps. The High Street front is in 2 storeys, with 1+3 three-light chamfered stone mullion and transom windows at each level, with cast-iron 24-pane casements under a drip-mould, continuous to the 3 to the right, and sill band at first floor. In bay 2 is a pair of plank doors to a 4-centred head, above which is a plaque with a castle and crenellations plus a coat of arms. Cast-iron gutters. The S side has plain walling, behind railings, but near the E end is a haunched gabled face dormer with a 3-light casement with diagonal panes, and a lofty eaves stack. Over the main W door is a panel inscribed: 'This town hall being restored AD 1896 Sir Henry Edwards presented the above clock to the inhabitants of the borough'. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: in front of the building is a triangular forecourt with cast-iron railings to each side, those to the right raised on a retaining wall to Chapelhay Street, in 7 bays with fluted standards to cappings and bands at 2 levels to diagonal rails. This forecourt is approached by 3 stone steps. HISTORICAL NOTE: there was a town hall here from the C16, and Buckler's sketch of 1790 shows ogee-headed windows (RCHME); a print in the NMR shows the S side with 2 dormers and 2 stacks. (RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 339).







Listing NGR: SY6763178632

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 467644

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970), 339

End of official listing