Seworgan Farmhouse, including garden wall immediately to south

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142116

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: Seworgan Farmhouse, including garden wall immediately to south

Map

Ordnance survey map of Seworgan Farmhouse, including garden wall immediately to south
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 21:50:00.

Location

Statutory Address: Seworgan Farmhouse, including garden wall immediately to south

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Constantine

National Grid Reference: SW7074631079

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 73 SW 5/111

CONSTANTINE SEWORGAN Seworgan Farmhouse No 1 including garden wall immediately to south

II Farmhouse. Probably late C18, extended and refashioned in circa mid C19. Limewashed granite rubble with dressed granite lintels and quoins. Slurried scantle slate roof with gable end to right and half-hipped end to left; high crested ornate ridge tiles. Right-hand gable end stack and axial stack to left of centre, both with short red brick shafts; kitchen stack with red brick shaft on rear slope of roof.

Plan: The original house of double depth plan with two principal front rooms with an entrance hall between containing the staircase at the back.There are two shallow service rooms at the back, he kitchen to the left and a dairy to the right. In circa mid C19 a one-room plan extension was added at the left end and a single storey outshut was built at the right end.

Exterior: two storeys. 1:2 window range.The two window part to the right is the original house with a doorway slightly to the right of centre with a mid C19 panelled door and a small rectangular overlight. All the windows at the front are C19 sixteen-pane sashes with horns and granite lintels and cills, the left hand windows have slate cills. To the right a higher parapet with brick battlements screens the outshut at this end.

Rear elevation: all C19 sashes, a large round-headed stair window to left of centre, a panelled door with an overlight at the centre and a C19 two-light casement to the left. Single storey outshut at the left-hand end. Including low granite rubble garden area wall in front of the house,with granite gate-piers and an ornate iron gate.

Interior not inspected but is said to have been little altered and there is apparently a cooking range dated 1866. There is a plank partition on the left-hand side of the entrance hall.

Seworgan was in the manor of Tucoys. The holding was divided into three in 1842 which may be the date of the remodelling of the house.

Source:Charles Henderson, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall,pp.160 and 161.

Listing NGR: SW7074631079

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66095

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall160 161

End of official listing