CARWYTHENACK FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142118

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: CARWYTHENACK FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARWYTHENACK FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142118 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 03:15:21.

Location

Statutory Address: CARWYTHENACK FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Gweek

National Grid Reference: SW 71881 28393

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 72 NW GWEEK

8/121 Carwythenack Farmhouse -

GV II

Farmhouse. Circa early C19, probably pre 1820. Rendered shale rubble. Bitumenised scantle slate roof with gabled ends, with lower eaves at the rear over the outshut. Rendered gable end stacks and another rendered stack over the right hand side of the rear outshut. Plan: Double depth integral outshut plan. 2 principal front rooms the right hand room is larger and both are heated from gable end stacks. Between the 2 rooms there is an entrance passage leading to a dog-leg staircase at the back in the integral outshut. The outshut also contains the kitchen with a side stack behind the right hand room and a smaller dairy or pantry behind the left hand room. In the C20 a single storey extension was added to the rear right behind the kitchen. Exterior: 2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 3-window front. Original C19 Gothick 2- light casements with 2-centred arch lights each with 6-panes per light and intersecting glazing bars in their heads. Granite window cills. Doorway to left of centre with original C19 flush panel door with painted arch top light ; the head of the doorframe is also arched forming spandrel lights on unusual feature. Rear elevation has an original C19 12-pane sash lighting the staircase to right of centre ; 2 C19 horizontally sliding sashes to right and C20 concrete block single storey extension to left. Interior: Partly inspected,has unaltered plan, much original carpentry and joinery including dog-leg stair with stick balusters and panelled doors. In 1820 C.S. Gilbert in his survey of Cornwall describes the since demolished mansion Carwythenack as "lately much improved and the plantation, walks and waterfalls considerably enlarged and beautified". Carwythenack farmhouse was probably built as part of these improvements. Carwythenack was formerly in Constantine parish before the parish boundaries were changed.

Listing NGR: SW7188128393

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66101

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gilbert, C S , An Historical Survey of the County of Cornwall, (1820)

End of official listing