THE OLD CHAPEL INCLUDING FRONT COURTYARD WALL, GATE PIERS AND GATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142147

Date first listed: 10-Jul-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: THE OLD CHAPEL INCLUDING FRONT COURTYARD WALL, GATE PIERS AND GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD CHAPEL INCLUDING FRONT COURTYARD WALL, GATE PIERS AND GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142147 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 04:39:25.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD CHAPEL INCLUDING FRONT COURTYARD WALL, GATE PIERS AND GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Sithney

National Grid Reference: SW 63602 28882

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 62 NW SITHNEY CHURCHTOWN, Sithney

7/303 The Old Chapel (formerly listed as - Methodist Chapel) including front 10.7.57 courtyard wall, gate piers and gate GV II

Methodist chapel now a house including front courtyard walls, gate piers and gate. 1859. Roughly coursed killas rubble front with dressed granite quoins, jambstones, sills and roof with cast iron ogee gutters and downpipes. Plan : rectangular aisless plan with galleries. 2 storey elevations. The symmetrical hipped front has central ground floor doorway with double doors and 2 first floor windows to light the gallery. Each side wall has 3 ground floor and 3 first floor windows, all original 16-pane hornless sashes in thein original openings. Interior not inspected but said to have original gallery. In front of the chapel is a walled courtyard with slurried rubble-coped rubble walls on 3 sides; one of the walls is parallel to the front of the chapel screening the doorway; another wall returning towards the front on the left and linked to the entrance wall beside the road. In the middle of the entrance wall is a gateway with round-headed square-on-plan granite monolithic gate piers and original wrought iron gate. The gate has roundels to the lock rail, a top rail ramped up to a point and spear head finials. A delightfully simple Methodist chapel and externally unaltered. Source: Christopher Stell, RCHM, from an inventory of non-conformist chapels, to be published by HMSO.

Listing NGR: SW6360228882

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 65978

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)

End of official listing