HIGHER TREGLIDGWITH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142161

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: HIGHER TREGLIDGWITH HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHER TREGLIDGWITH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142161 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 11:32:46.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGHER TREGLIDGWITH HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Constantine

National Grid Reference: SW 74202 29878

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 72 NW CONSTANTINE

8/28 Higher Treglidgwith House - II

House, originally a farmhouse. Dated 1799, restored in C20. Granite rubble with dressed granite quoins, lintels and cills. Steeply pitched thatched roof with gable ends, shaped granite kneelers and plain granite coping. C20 red brick stacks over the gable ends. Plan: Double depth plan with 2 principal front rooms heated from gable end stacks and an entrance passage between the 2 rooms. The left hand room is larger and probably originally the parlour and the smaller right hand room must have been the kitchen. At the back there were 2 shallow unheated rooms. In the C20 partitions between the front and back rooms were removed and the staircase which may have originaly been situated between the 2 front rooms was replaced by a staircase at the back of the right hand room. The single storey addition at the right hand end was also added in C20. A circa C18 cottage situated diagonally across the rear right hand corner has been incorporated into the accommodation. Exterior: Symmetrical 2 window range. C20 2-light casements with glazing bars, granite lintels and cills. Central doorway with an unchamfered granite lintel inscribed "C.M. 1799" in upper case with serifs. C20 glazed door and large C20 glazed porch, with a thatched hipped roof. Asymmetrical rear elevation has C20 2-light casements with glazing bars. The circa C18 cottage across the rear right hand corner is of whitewashed granite rubble with a slate gable-ended roof with a dressed granite stack on the right hand end. Interior: The left hand room has a fireplace with a massive granite chamfered lintel and jambs; the lintel is too long for the fireplace and seems to be reused. The right hand room has a very large fireplace with a massive unchamfered granite lintel, unchamfered granite jambs and an oven in the right hand side. C20 exposed soft wood joists and C20 soft wood partitions. Roof: The roof structure is said to have been replaced in C20. Treglidgwith was in the manor of Treworval. In 1842 Higher Treglidgwith was a holding of 57 acres which belonged to Thomas Medlyn. Therefore, C.M. inscribed on the doorway lintel suggests that C. Medlyn held Higher Treglidgwith in 1799. Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall. pages 180 and 181

Listing NGR: SW7420229878

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66014

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall180 181

End of official listing