Chynhale Methodist Church

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1142167
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
Chynhale Methodist Church, Sithney, Helston, TR13 0RX

Map

Ordnance survey map of Chynhale Methodist Church
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142167.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:40:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
Chynhale Methodist Church, Sithney, Helston, TR13 0RX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sithney
National Grid Reference:
SW 64194 30854

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/05/2018

SW 63 SW 4/244

SITHNEY Chynhale Methodist Church

GV II Methodist chapel. 1879. Designed by James Hicks of Redruth for William Bickford-Smith and built by W. Broad of Porthleven. Faced granite rubble brought to course, otherwise dressed granite architectural features with some Bath stone. Concrete tile roofs with coped gable ends. Rendered chimney over the north (ritual east) gable end.

Plan: rectangular aisless four plus one-bay plan with three-bay south front gable end (ritual west end). Two porches at either side (west and east walls), the main entrance porches extending from the third bay from the front and the other vestry porches (with south doorways) projecting from a lower organ bay at the rear. Early English style.

Three-bay south gable end front has weathered buttresses flanking the bays, the right and left hand buttresses clasping the corners. Tall plinth. Window to each bay the central three-light window taller and wider than the flanking two-light windows. Sills at the same level. Pointed arches with slender hoodmoulds rising from impost strings, machicolated gable over. The windows have pointed lancets, two to each side window with quatrefoil tracery over and three to the middle window with rose window tracery over. Leaded lights. Memorial plaque under each window, the middle one to: William Bickford-Smith 1827-1899, died at Trevarno. The Bickford-Smith family vault stands in front.

The side elevations are in similar style: plinths, buttresses between bays, machicolated cornice and two-light windows with pointed-arched lights and foiled plate tracery. The main entrance porches have central doorways to the gable ends with nook shafts to the jambs and dogs tooth decoration to the pointed arches. The rear porches three-light windows (similar to the others) to the machicolated gable ends and doorways to the front (south) with short nook shafts and stilted four-centred arches over. Leaded glazing in all the windows.

Interior: very complete interior with original features and fittings. The roof structure of four bays is arch braced, the lower braces, pierced with quatrefoils; meeting a hammer beam, and each truss springs from a corbel. Rectangular plaster panels with torus moulding between the trusses and purlins. The pointed window arches have hoodmoulds with carved label stops. Pointed chancel arch to organ bay has an inner order springing from detached shafts.

Fittings: the seating was supplied by John Berry for the sum of £85-11-6d. Pitch pine semi-circular on plan at the south end (ritual west) and rising in tiers; also some pews in the level floor area between. The pulpit, chairs and upholstery were supplied by Criddle and Smith: the pulpit is of several woods, rectangular on plan, cantilvered out at the front over a pointed arcade with Doric columns, the pulpit front and sides a blind pointed arcade with Ionic capitals, cinquefoils within the arches and the tympana carved in deep relief; a stair at the left hand side. The organ was presented to the trustees; June 1880, by Annie Bickford-Smith, Margaret Elizabeth Bickford-Smith and Emily Venning Bickford-Smith who died at Camborne on 22nd December, 1868 (inscribed above the keyboard).

Listing NGR: SW6419430854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
65924
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13228/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].