ENGINE HOUSE AND ATTACHED BOILER HOUSE AT SW594290 WHEAL GREY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142203

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE AND ATTACHED BOILER HOUSE AT SW594290 WHEAL GREY

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENGINE HOUSE AND ATTACHED BOILER HOUSE AT SW594290 WHEAL GREY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 15:01:53.

Location

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE AND ATTACHED BOILER HOUSE AT SW594290 WHEAL GREY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Germoe

National Grid Reference: SW 59493 29067

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 52 NE GERMOE TRESOWES GREEN 6/233 Engine house and attached boiler house at SW594290 Wheal Grey

GV II

Disused engine house and attached boiler house and other adjoining structures. Circa 1897. Granite rubble with dressed granite quoins and jambstones, brick arches. Plan: rectangular engine house with bob wall and shaft at north; adjoining lean-to boiler house along east side and extending to the south; wall parallel to boiler house wall extending in front of the left hand side of the south wall of the engine house: small square plan building south of this and attached to the north end of the boiler house by a screen wall is a pair of buttressed parallel whim bearing walls, at right angles to the shaft. Within the boiler house are 2 long masonry lined trenches and within the building south of the engine house are several bearing walls with iron bolts for former machinery. In front of the 'plug' doorway of the engine house are 2 bearing walls at right angles to the shaft. Machinery, floors and roofs removed. 3 storeys over basement pit. Round-headed openings. Engine house: opening to each floor of the south gable and 2 openings in the bob wall (now one opening as the lintel and masonry between has fallen). Ground floor opening to each side (wing) wall. The east wall opening is a doorway with another small opening above and to the left. There is a large complete cross beam in situ. Boiler house: round arched 'lunette' opening at the south end; doorway with window over at the north end. Blocked doorway in west wall. Built for a 36-inch cylinder beam pumping engine which had been converted from a rotative engine. Originally built by the Charlestown Foundry for Polgooth mine in the 1840s later used as a stamps engine. Finally scrapped in 1935. This engine house and its associated structures is one of the most complete examples in Cornwall. The surviving bearing walls for the former complex arrangement of whim and other machinery are particularly interesting. Sources : Kenneth Brown, Council member of the Trevithick Society.

Listing NGR: SW5949329067

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 65912

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing